My 850 is running odd

RocketMonkey101

Daily Driver
Some quick background. I took my car the the mechanic a few months back and he swapped all the valve springs, turns out there was a broken one and some rust on another. In any event I took this big hill with the spider and I may have been sitting at higher revs for a bit (around 5k) when the engine died. ( I saw another thread about vapor lock and thought might be the issue but now I think otherwise) I managed to get the motor started and when it started it was very quiet and a little low on power. I figured maybe the engine was just hot and figured I'd let it cool down and see how it ran. Well, I drove it around this weekend and my idle was unusually low, I adjusted the idle at the carb and went about my drive. I noticed the little guy still seemed quiet and a little low on power. Is it possible I may have unseated one of those new springs and it's not doing it's job correctly? It feels like it's firing on all 4 cylinders just a little low on power and usually quiet. Any ideas?

Set it to run at say 2000 rpm. Pull each plug wire, one at a time. If there is more drop in one cylinder than the others you’ve at least identified the problem cylinder.
5000 rpm shouldn’t hurt these engines.

You might want to wear mechanics gloves when you do that. You can get enough voltage leak thru the insulation on a plug lead to get a shock.

Or just go straight to a compression test, since you suspect a mechanical problem.

You might want to wear mechanics gloves when you do that. You can get enough voltage leak thru the insulation on a plug lead to get a shock.

Or just go straight to a compression test, since you suspect a mechanical problem.
Good advice. I should have clarified I use plastic pliers for the job.

Back