My architect and my X don't match

htfx19

Herzel Frenkel
My apparently not so bright architect mislocated my new house. It is some 16" (40 cm) too high off the lot.
Now, Whitex dosn't have enough ground clearance to drive int the garage. The front skirt hits first and the bottom hits the entrance when going over the sill.
This is all still on the computer, but the house is real.
That front skirt is the real problem. One solution is to raise the sidewalk in front of the entrance by some 10-15 cm (4-6"). The city won't like it but it is doable.
Any ideas on the skirt side?
In case of no ideas, some deep sympathy may be in order...

Fisrt thought

The front skirt hits first and the bottom hits the entrance when going over the sill.

Hi Herzel, sorry to hear about the problems with your brand new house. My first thought is to have the architect lay down in front of the X and drive over him. The front skirt will now impact the architect first and not the concrete. This doesn't solve your problem, but it may make you feel better. :devil:

My second thought isn't much different, but is perhaps more workable. Try placing a thin board across the driveway near the top. I am thinking a board that is only 1/2" to 1" thick, 4" to 6" wide and 6' long. You will need to test various positions, but the general idea is to place it where it will lift the front end just enough to clear the front skirt. I haven't tested this myself, it is just "brainstorming" for a simple solution. You may need a second board to lift the rears to clear the side skirt.

If this type of solution works, perhaps the architect can re-profile the driveway and garage floor at his expense to provide some "custom bumps" to help you with your clearance issues.

Good luck!

Would backing the car in help?

I have done this with cars that have a low front end, onto a trailer. The differences in front and rear overhang can make the difference on whether the front spoiler will bottom out or not.

Just a thought.

Pete

It's a good thought too

Just a thought.

Pete

Even simpler than my risky scheme!! If he has side skirt issues he could put a board inside the garage which would be much better "visually" on a brand new home.

Well... it's a good idea as long as your X's reverse gear can maintain the will to live. ;)

Same issue in my storage unit ...

I now use ramps. Can buy a bolt on ramp "kit". It's the metal ends with carriage bolts. I prefer the ones for 2" x 12" lumber. Get a 2" x 12" x 12'.

I also started with 6 ea. 2" x 4" by about 12" long. 3 on each side up against the step. (lay two down on the ground, place the 3rd on top of the board against your step into the garage).

And back the car in whichever route you go. I have stock rear springs, front lowered.

He should...

If it's been built, he/she should pay for the floor to be jack-hammered up and repoured at the proper height. This is what they carry insurance for. Also why you should visit the site often.

16" mistake is too great to ignore. That's two over-tall steps for god's sake. My Vanagon couldn't clear that. If it was an inch or even two it might be worth a "settlement" meaning cash for the mistake, but 16" simply needs to be fixed.

Or, if I understand correctly, just build the garage (if it's not yet built) 16" lower so that it lines up with the sidewalk or driveway, and have 2-3 steps up into the house.

What I would do is build the garage so that the slab is (2) 7-3/4" steps lower than the house floor, so that the steps are comfortable, and then slope the slab slightly toward the vehicle doorway (this is usually done anyway).

Dan is right. Need pics

I'll add pics and a drawing to explain the situation.
Anyhow, the house is built, almost finished and the garage if attached to the house. All looring is concrete slab.
You will see it when you see it.
Hopefull me

Here come the pics

The splined drivway and the car's "model" on it.
First picture is the car on the sidewalk which has been raised some 15 cm above city planned hight.

drivewayii-1.jpg

2nd pic is where the front skirt starts hitting the ramp
drivewayii-2.jpg

This is the point where the skirt leaves the ramp
drivewayii-3.jpg

Here the bottom clears the hump at the garage entrance
drivewayii-4.jpg

And finaly (???) WhiteX is parked home.
drivewayii-5.jpg

Please remember that this solution requires raising the sidewalk which is an issue.
Any ideas carwise?
Thanks all great minds...

Well... I'm reminded of an old Jewish...

... philosophy or saying...

"If ya can't move Mohammed to the mountain, move the mountain to Mohammed."

In this case, its just the opposite, the mountain being the height of the sidewalk.

You'll need to raise the height of the car. But LEAVING it high like that would look, feel, and be ridiculous...

The alternative would be to temporary raise the car, kinda like the FI cars do when they come in for a PIT STOP. They have hydraulics that lift the car, and then retract it to place the car back on the ground to continue the race.

TWO or THREE ideas come immediately to mind... (hold your breath!)

1. Air bag suspension... like our "low-riders" use to use, but handling would be sacrificed overall unless it was an "adjunct" to the stock struts.

2. Air-shock/strut suspension, commonly used on many street rods and customs today. You would replace the front (maybe ALL four) struts with these and add a electric compressor to the car to raise it up or down ANYTIME. (Kinda like the coil-over mods some folks already have done with their X's.)

3. Air or hydraulic JACKS installed up front just BEHIND the front tires (or on the lower trailing arms?) that have CASTERS and are activated to raise the front end (and/or the tires) off the ground for clearance. (Police departments and others have modified cars similarly on their test tracks to simulate hydroplaning and the like.) The car would be "unsteerable" or almost unsteerable for a moment as the rear tires still have contact pushing the car forward past the obstacle and then it could be lowered again.

My preference is Number Two, the air shock/strut suspension!

I'll attach some references...

Play this video:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/bobbys-1994-hatch-on-air_46769.htm

http://www.fbirides.com/product.asp?idno=260146

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Air-Lift-75592-Chapman-Universal/dp/B001F1611U"]Amazon.com: Air Lift 75592 Chapman Universal Front or Rear Strut Kit: Automotive[/ame]

(This one looks like the PERFECT solution... lots out there! Even has a quote about shipping in time for Christmas!)

Man, can I spend a poor little old (Jewish) man's last dime! HA!

What are friends (around the world) for, anyway?

Happy Hannakah, BTW!

Last edited:
Aside from ramps....

...That would span the slope and sidewalk, that you drag out everytime you want to come and go, I would lower the garage floor. Really.

Jackhammers can be fun!

Oh, BTW, Greg has a good point...

... and since it may not be possible or practical to do as he suggests... You should indeed be compensated for your LOSS by the architect for HIS mistake and the city/county (or whatever) for approving it for permits.

(This kinda thinking comes from being part Armenian, having a daughter for an Attorney, and living in LA all my life...HAHAHA!)

Seriously, this is a gross error on their part. Your car is not unusually low, and almost any other car would have trouble also. So what would the cost be to provide you with a car that can navigate this obstacle? They should provide at least that much (plus "pain and suffering"... hehehe...) to at least get you "over the hump".

Hey, $30K or $40K for a small SUV of sorts would more than pay for modifying the X too!

Always thinking here... Of course, there is my usual 10% "finders fee"... You have my address right?

Probably

I will raise the sidewalk 6". The architect will have to support me there. He must.
Tony's #2 idea seems exciting - air controlled front struts. Sort of a big job, and costly, considering Natoli's hefty finder's fee Haa Haa.
well, an early merry Christmas to all and a happy and Xy New year from across the globe.​

OK Herzel, I'll waive my finder's fee...

... just this once... in the spirit of Christmas and Hannakah!

Hey... Even if ya spent $700 bucks it should be less than raising the sidewalk! Much less trouble too. But that is just between you and me, not the architect!

Back