My wife has wanted one of these since they came out in 1989

Nice package..

I have always thought the Miata had the best looking hardshell top around. The color is sort of 'THE' color for that vintage, isn't it. Is she thrilled with it?

Very much so. She registered it this morning and off to work. The most automotively motivated I have seen her in decades. Its a great little car, we are very lucky to have found it.

Marinar Blue is an unusual color, a solid which is nice and something you don't see often (Audi's Nagaro blue is akin to it).

Thanks!

Yes, I can see...

the blue is different from the common one-much richer. Very nice, indeed.

I have kicked around the idea of getting a new Miata with the power hardtop. I think the car actually looks best with it in place. Surprising, in a way, that Mazda has not pursued a GT version in all these years. But 'if ain't broke..." I guess. Back when it was common practice to develop a tin top version of open cars-Triumph GT6, MGBGT...

Just an aside here. Karl, your photo album showed a very nice twin cam engine and it reminded me of something I have been meaning to mention. I have a set of polished aluminum pieces for the entire upper part of a twin cam that were going to be used on a project that got aborted several years ago. If anyone has a genuine desire and use for these let me know. They are just sitting and I would love to think someone was able to build up the engine that I never did.

In Japan they sold a hardtop coupe version of the second series body NB (they also did show a prototype NA in the US which was well received), low volume and never offered over here.

I am not a candidate for the polished covers as I have always liked the cast look (or red crackle paint so I can pretend I drive a Ferrari...), I am sure there is a worthy soul here or on the fiatspider forum who would be very happy to acquire them. Thanks though.

Very nice! You can tell by the look on her face that she's going to get alot of joy out of that.:thumbsup:

Good Job.....

Thanks, you got that right.

At the end of the month a bunch of Fiats will be coming nearby you, we have the WMFLU FUN event running from Holland to the Gilmore on the 28 and to the Air Zoo on the 29th. It would be great to see you at one of the venues. See the events forum for details :thumbsup:
Karl

My cousin just purchased one...

....already has the engine out for an aluminum LS swap. Only about a 75 pound difference in the drivetrain weight. Should be pretty quick when he is finished.

Those are amazing change overs, however not her style.

Its more about being like a vintage car (which it nearly is at 21 years old), I drove it around a fair bit today and it has some of the smell and ambiance of a 124 Spider in some ways. You sit much deeper in the car than you do in a 124 along with being a much tighter cockpit.

Nice to have.

Karl

great cars!

I bought my firstborn son a '92 for his HS graduation in 2000 (an act that prompted me to begin shopping for an X for myself). Black Special Edition with a tan interior. He still owns the car, probably always will.

Your wife will enjoy that car!

Congrats to you both...

I was once told that that X was a "girlie" car but I always felt the Miata was one...

Even though I have seen some tenacious examples, I think it does serve the fairer sex very well. Damon Kane bought a late model for its paddle shifter when he could no longer use a clutch properly and it has all the other modern bells and whistles... whilst still keeping to a classic roadster theme.

Good choice... Enjoy!

Very nice

And a smart man, too. Happy wife, happy life indeed.

Sweet looking car, seems to be a very nice example. I, too, have appreciated the styling and fun of the Miata/MX5.

Hope your wife enjoys many carefree and fun hours behind the wheel!

Catching up.
Very nice.
Like our '91
I've been searching on and off for a hardtop, worth as much as whole car unfortunately!

I still have my Mariner Blue Miata I bought in 1989... I loved that color...

For the first few years that color seemed sort of common, but that's the trick, they only made it for the first 3 years... and they've been making Miata's for quite a while now!!!

The 'smurf blue' color is still cool in my opinion... the only color I'll admit to liking more is the Sunburst Yellow cars from 1992. Yow! Love that hue!:nod:

We had been looking for another unicorn color: Laguna Blue. We have been close a couple of times but just haven't had any luck. If we find one that is better than this one we will consider changing.

I always liked the yellow but they are really rare, particularly here. The dealer in Pasdena painted a brand new 90 yellow right after the intro and sold the thing for over 40k, really for a 15k car with a 3k paint job...

This color has really grown on us, it was an odd color at the time compared to other maker's blues. I was just at a meet up with 22 Fiats where we were all parked at a nearby car museum, sadly the Miata got more than it's share of attention and the color I think was a large part of that.

I think we will be keeping this for quite some time.

Yeah the tops are expensive, we were really lucky in getting it. I love the way the car looks with it on. If I was a rich man I would be very tempted to have a permanent hard top fast back coupe made out of a standard car... Sadly I am not a rich man, at least monetarily

Last edited:
Hardtop: better visibility too I would think, with the soft top up the blinds spots are hugely annoying. They look great in a hard top too. Girlie: yep, I agree. I feel a tiny bit silly in it to be honest, which, considering my daily driver is my X really says something. Later versions are more aggressive looking. It is a great little sports car though. Ours hasn't been used in weeks. My son wants to modify it when he's out of college. Not sure it will be around that long!

I ended up driving it for the weekend and hugely enjoyed it. It is a real joy to drive. I am not bothered by the looks of the Miata, it reminds me of an Elan which has always been one of my favorite cars. I also don't worry too much about my manliness being threatened by a car.

The targa is superior to the convertible top, its quieter, less wind and generally easier to manage the up and down process with the boot etc.

Now to get a little free-er engine in the X with a few more ponies :)

Back