My X 1/9 weekend, or should I say week?

Chris Obert

autocrosser, X driver
Saturday morning I took my Dallara (on my transport truck) to the local hot rod show. It happens in a local Home Depot/Safeway parking lot every Saturday morning from about 7-9.
I got a lot of folks looking at this little car parked between all the other rods, and only one guy who said "if we put a Chevy in it it would probably be real fast". But most of them recognized it's potential...
Pretty good from a bunch of guys that still have a wee bit of a problem with them funny foreign jobs showing up in their parking lot. A few semi pro photographers took a lot of photos, but none of them had cards. One of them told me to search Flikr under "no show car show", but I have not spotted it...

After working on a car I am restoring at about 3:30 I hopped in my 1979 touring X and drove down to Marina CA (about 45 minutes away)to help set up for Sunday's autocross. 5 Miatas, and one X got driven over by us workers. After it was all set up we all took a lap or two just to make sure the gates were not too confusing and the timers would be in safe spots. The guy that puts it on said that even though I leaned a lot & was drifting I had all the Miatas beat hands down by his watching of the clock...
Then a quick 45 minutes back home after we all did a group dinner at Kim's Chinese Food. Great running stock cars are just wonderful.

This morning I went back down with the Dallara on my truck. By the time my run group was up it was almost noon, and I gave rides to my daughter & her b/f. I think I did second or third in class, I wasn't really paying attention as I am there for the fun & my tires are shot, which makes it almost like a drift car instead of an autocross car.
Results will probably be up here in a few days http://www.norcalufo.org/main/
and the photographer http://www.steve510.com/coppermine/index.php?cat=3&Itemid=58 should also have some shots up in about a week. Watch for event 7, 4th run group. I run in DMod.
My employee Rob was also there taking photos, he will probably have some shots in a few days. He is hoping to have gotten a good one for the FLU photo contest.

Tomorrow night is the local Fiat club's monthly meeting, it's about an hour each way, and I will drive my cosmetically challenged 1979 X.

Wednesday morning I fly east so I can be at the Freak Out on Thursday night, can't wait to see some of you guys from the other coast with your cars, and to drive one (or more) Friday at the autocross, or to look at them Saturday on the field. I got to fly home Sunday so I can be at work on Monday.

I will get to miss out on the Flying Spagetti Monster at the Lemons race, all the west coast guys having a great time at Concourso Italiano, all the other events in and around the Monterey area this week, and the Monterey Historics.

weekend

Ours was pretty busy one as well, getting ready for the upcoming Histrionics Race in lovely Buttonwillow, CA. Ambient temps expected to be in the low 100s. Track temps probably approaching 130-140 (ugh).

We re-configured the nose to a 'updraft' can-am style configuration, venting the radiator out the hood and plating off the bottom. Fitted a stat-less thermostat housing, fixed some dodgy wiring, and general lube and tightening of stuff. New front splitter won't clear the ramps for the trailer - so we need to make some new ramps also.

Overall, we're ready to run - and you can catch updates on the FSM and the Lemons 24 at jalopnik.com

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdzzX7ygNzs"]YouTube - Last Lemons Fiat Test run Buttonwillow 8/1[/ame]

Last edited:
Looking forward to meeting

you Chris,
I'm still working on the fine points, trying to get my custom made bass enclosure installed.
Hopefully will be finished by Wednesday. I'll be heading out Thurdsay AM and expect to
get there around 1:00PM See you there.

all the west coast guys having a great time at Concourso Italiano, all the other events in and around the Monterey area this week, and the Monterey Historics.

Hey Chris,

I plan to meet up with Tom Mulhall at the Concourse Italiano this weekend. It would have been nice to see you there but sounds like you will have a fun (and busy) week anyway.

-Tim

Hey Chris,

I plan to meet up with Tom Mulhall at the Concourse Italiano this weekend. It would have been nice to see you there but sounds like you will have a fun (and busy) week anyway.

-Tim

Tom Mulhall... That's a name I have not heard in a while. Ask him if he is still doing the little napolean thing, and say hi from me.

A photographer sent me a bunch of pictures from Saturday, if someone wants to post them drop me a note & I can forward them.

Rob also has a bunch of nice shots from Sunday, if you want to post them let me know!

I don't have a way to post them here at work, and will not have the time for a while.

Pics...

Chris can color commentary...

DSC07725.jpg

DSC07726.jpg

DSC07728.jpg

DSC07729.jpg

DSC07730.jpg

DSC07731.jpg

DSC07732.jpg

DSC07733.jpg

DSC07734.jpg

DSC07735.jpg