Need a Pic or Help-- Stock Setup on Late Non-A/C Alternator

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
:help:Having a little trouble figuring how the stock alternator cover fits onto the back of the later Bosch alts on a non-A/C car.

Does the hose nipple for the cooling duct/hose from the right scoop point straight up 12 o'clock, or does it point toward the rear of the car more or less at 3 o'clock?

There's a depression in the green oversleeve that fits over the power wire and the exciter wire that would only match up to the grommet on the cover if the cover is in the 3 o'clock position, but for some reason that just does not look right.

Looked in the FSM and could not find a clear pic of this, and I did not take a pic of this before I took it apart.:mad:

BTW, it took three different belts (#1 Goodyear off-brand, #2 Dayco, #3 Gates 7325) but I did find a belt (Gates 7325) that fits onto the alt-wp-crank without having to walk it on. Had to unbolt the alt lower pivot to get that extra scoush of clearance, but it does fit and after adjustment there is still about an inch of travel left on the adjustment arm.

Dan... Its my HUMBLE OPINION...

... that cooling really isn't necessary via the ductwork and cover...

Most have been found without the ductwork... and therefore the cooling is restricted a bit... and usually not of any consequence.

I guess the cover was really put there to prevent water from causing problems... then they hadta cool the alternator some other way.

I don't believe any of my alternator problems were ever caused by water... but by STRESS to overcome all the corrosion and the like in an effort to recharge the battery. Other cases included my trying to jump start other autos...

Of course, I don't encounter much water either...

Soooo... I said all that to say... just leave the damn thing off. Next alternator, go for a GM mod and you'll be a happier camper...

Does the GM version charge better at idle?

I started tuning as dusk was approaching, and as soon as I turn the lights on (already rewired headlights via relays), the load pulls the idle down, & messes with the AFR's, which then drops the idle, which reduces the charging rate, you get the picture..

Basically, If I don't keep the idle at 1k rpm, the charging system is an issue.

Pictures Late Non-A/C Alternator

Hello Dan,
there is pictures of 86 Non-A/C Alternator.
I wish that help.

img47811.jpg

img47831.jpg

Merci bien!

Yves, thank you very much for taking the time to post those pics....exactly what I needed:clap:

Here is the result of our collaboration, just in case anyone else might need this info:
img478111-1.JPG

I brightened up your original pic in Windows Live Photo Editor and then added the text in Photobucket.

PS--Your second pic also helped me confirm the routing path of the heater hose that comes off the water pipe behind the engine

Last edited:
Same as A/C car...

Only the alternator itself is lower down on the non-A/C car. Duct cover etc. similar on my car with A/C.

Back