Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Need advice<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 22 2001 at 3:01 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "k";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "0";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "2";n54_em = n54_em + "0";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "5";n54_em = n54_em + "0";n54_em = n54_em + "0";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Dennis"); // --> </SCRIPT>Dennis <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Shopping for an X1/9 with intentions of modifying for more power, maybe complete engine swap. In my area, Albuquerque, NM, 1974 model is inspection-exempt. But I have been offered a number of very nice 1977-78 models. Has anyone had experience in meeting emission testing requirements with modified X1/9's? Of any year? Comments appreciated.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Tony, Santa Clarita CA[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Any car can pass a smog test...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 22 2001, 6:21 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Dennis,

Basically its up to you and what ya wanna pay. Most folks don't know what a stocker looks like and you could probably sell most testers on anything presented.

I got a kick outta the DMV inspectors (had to go back twice!)when I resurrected mine and they asked me to open the trunk... pointing at the rear. So I did. Then he says, "no, I mean, go open the front..." so I did! HA, HA, HA! I just love the expression on their faces when they can't find the engine!!!!

I have probably averaged passing and failing every other 2 years for the last 17 with my '79... and its a "stocker".

When it passes, it costs me 30 to 50 bucks, when it doesn't, it costs $175.00.

We all have a responsibility to keep them runnin' as clean as possible... which in many cases gives us the best performance too. Its usually the (*&^%$# rules that keep changing and two years ago... they apparently didn't have the correct requirements programmed in the SACRAMENTO computer for a '79 and earlier.

I have the printouts and when compared to earlier tests, my car was actually running cleaner at speed and at idle. This was the first time on the new dyno tests and the operators didn't even know how to adjust the idle or the A/F mixture!!!

So I took it over to my old standby tester and bought him and his family a nice evening out.

I'm up again this June... Either "Brian" goes to dinner or I do... HA!

Good luck... and don't let the "Federales" keep ya from having a good time. Even if ya haveta change out the intake and exhaust every two years... its worth it!

Tony
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]scot[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->emisions :my .02<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]January 22 2001, 9:02 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Ive owned a couple Xs from 77thru 79 usauly no problem if : recent tuneup,minimal blowby,and fully warmed up at test. cars were not heavily modified,but a well tuned car should pass,regardless.One thing does help to set mixture,an o2 meter hooked to an o2 sensor in the exhaust.K&N sells a kit as do others.Makes it easy to tune dead on. Dont let emisions bs turn you away from later cars, they have advantages.Doesnt your state have a rolling exempt date? I mean, wont a 78 be exempt in 3 years? Good luck.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back