need advise on "best" email setup

htfx19

Herzel Frenkel
This forum is the best to get statistical results from a wide range of smart guys.
I had been using an old email program "lingomail" which has not been updated since Windows 98 or something like that. It's fathers are no longer with us...
I have switched to MS Outlook which is not the greatest at all.
What are you guys running and how happy are you with it?
:help:
Thanks,

Enjoy -

While (like any program) it does have its quirks, the current (2010 on PC and 2011 on Mac) version of Microsoft Outlook (not to be confused with the retired Outlook Express) is widely considered to be the Standard for Groupware on the PC platform.

But most of Outlook's prowess is hidden unless it's operating in a somewhat larger environment where Outlook is the client to an Exchange Server.

For the daily chore of email correspondence, Outlook is still fine. But there are other programs that are just as good for just email and most of them are free.

And most of the webmail interfaces (as opposed to an email client that you would install on a computer) that are used by the major USA ISPs (internet service providers) mimic Outlook in form and function function.

Which brings up the question do you even need an email client installed on the computer these days? Microsoft thinks that most people don't anymore so that's why they no longer include an email app with the Operating System. They do have a competent free offering called Windows Live Mail that's pretty good.

Last edited:
So MS outlook is good,

I don't like the idea of my mail sitting at some remote MS or Google machine. I mean, enough is enough.
A technician at my IP suggested I change to Thunderbird. I tried and am not excited at all, hence my inquiry.
Thanks for the response Dan.
BTW my God daughter is in Philadelphia, attending Wharton U. I hope Irene wasn't too harsh on you guys.

Enjoy -

Although I have accounts at several places, I find GMail to be the best all around solution for me. GMail has been my primary email provider for 5 years now. I also have my own domain and email address so that I can switch providers if I wish without having to notify anyone of a new address.

Their management of spam is in my experience, superior to Yahoo and Hotmail/Live. You can still use a desktop client to access Web based mail services using POP or preferably IMAP, though I prefer the web interface.
The integration with my Android phone makes it even better :)

Thanks for responding, Mark

I don't like the idea of Google managing my mail so this is not an option for me.
I wish "Lingomail" was still viable.:cry:

Enjoy -

Hey Herzel...

I use yahoo, and my own website address for email.

I print to PDF or download to my mac only the most important emails.

Back