Need Help Identifying This Part

Triestino

Daily Driver
I'd like to start by saying that I am a new member and a first time poster...so please forgive me for any posting infractions.
I acquired a Fiat 128 4-door sedan a year ago (here in California) and it has been running great. Yesterday, when doing ~ 40mph and accelerating, it would sometimes hesitate or buck for a moment and then go away and run correctly. Wanting to diagnose the problem, I was looking this morning under the hood and found a few problems that may/may not be related but should be fixed.
The device in question is located in front of the timing belt cover and appears to be some sort of vacuum control that is triggered (open/closed) by a 12v connection. Besides the in/out hoses being dry and cracked, one of the spade connectors (ears) broke off.
Can anyone tell me what this device does and secondly, if anyone happens to have a decent used one that they would like to sell.

Thank you in advance for your reply(ies)!

Northern California

That's the Electrovalve for the Diverter Valve

The Electrovalve is normally closed, but when energized (via a vacuum switch on the intake manifold coolant jacket, after the engine reaches operating temperature) it opens and permits the Diverter Valve to supply fresh air from the air pump to the exhaust passages in the cylinder head, as part of the emission system. This system, whether functional or not, should not affect the way the engine runs (unless a vacuum leak is present in the hoses), only the level of emissions in the exhaust. Since you have a '76 model year, and you are in California, you'll want to retain this sytem and ensure that it functions for emissions testing, but these parts may last longer in a box between testing dates, if you know what I mean. I have a spare in good condition that you are welcome to have, send me a message with your address, and I'll mail it to you.

Diverter Valve

Thank you all for responding so quickly and educating me.

Dave, I'll PM you with my info and want to say publicly 'thank you so much' for offering to send a spare one my way! It's truly appreciated. I'm so happy to have found and joined this Fiat forum. :excited:

Thank you all once more!

Gianni

Back