Never seen one of these before - 1959 Fiat Abarth Spyder

Yeah... we got these all over SoCal...

HA!

Wow... never seen anything like it either!

But I do have a Radiator Cap just like the one on this car! I wonder how much its worth... I paid 5 bucks for it!

I helped Al Cosentino move one of these into a storage unit once. It was incomplete, but definitely the same car. Not too crazy about the styling compared to the double bubble Record Monzas. He had several of those too.

1959 Fiat

I'm pretty sure that's a Fiat-Abarth Allemeno (sp?) spider. They were steel bodied & had a 750 pushrod engine. I was at a gymkhana with my Fiat 600 when one of these showed up to run (early 1960's). A car salesman brought the car from his dealership to see what it could do. It was "Corvette day" at the event, and the quickest one did a 2:18. The Abarth ran a 2:07 practice lap, and pulled into the pits steaming...I was familiar with this problem with my 600 & took a quick look under the car. The salesman was no mechanic at all, so I offered to fix it for him if he'd give me a ride around the course. He agreed, so I propped open the bimetallic spring controlled trapdoor (that was the radiator inlet) with a popsicle stick tied in place with a piece of wire. The temp dropped right down & I got my ride. He ended up with a 1:58 official run. I still remember that HUGE chronometric tach!

Brian, "in da UP"

Back