New Bertone Owner...

ibertone86

Daily Driver
I'm a novice mechanic who will be asking for alot of help, so I figured I'd introduce myself...

My Italian immigrant father had 7 Fiats (one at a time)when I was a kid in Niagara Falls, NY from the late 60s to the late 70s. He had 124s & 128s both coupes and sedans. He wrecked some, traded some in, and sadly returned some to Fiat because they rusted away after the first winter. I remember the engines on those cars playing like music. It was like a song I knew by heart...anticipating each shift when my Dad was accelerating...and hearing him wind it out on the down shift. Since then I always wanted one. Last summer, at age 39 I was driving home from work when I saw an '86 Bertone. The interior was in pieces but the body and motor were soild. I brought Dad to see it and he insisted that I buy it...got it for $1600. Since then I have - replaced seats, a rear control arm, a front carrier, the front bumper, bumper ends, & just about every bulb & switch. It's running pretty well...the EFI tuning guide I found linked to the forum has been a great help. I have been going nuts because everytime I try and fix something I either find something else that needs to be fixed or I break something else in the process. I'm into it for another $600 so far. This week while tracing wires to figure out why my heater fan only runs while the starter is cranking I broke the speedometer cable...ordered a new one tonight...thats how it's been going. My goal is to have it road ready for a Fiat event in August 350 miles away in PA. My Dad stopped by tonight while I was working on it... I told him about the Freakout and he said "you're not going to drive this thing all that way are you" I said "no...we are..." So I am greatful for any advice you guys can offer. Maybe I'll see you in PA. I'll be with guy with the old man in the red Bertone.

Welcome

You came to the right place. :)

Good luck with the resto and post pics when you get a chance.

Welcome

You and I have the same year X1/9, so if you have anything specific you need to know, just ask.

I’m in the same boat as you with a recently acquired ’86. I’m not a great mechanic either but I love my X and I’ll just keep plugging away at it and enjoy learning how to restore it. I’ve found this forum to be immensely helpful with the vast knowledge and experience of the members here. Good luck with your restoration. It’s always nice to get your dad involved in projects, too. I hope to make it to the FreakOut in August also. Maybe I’ll see you there.

Great intro and welcome aboard.

No doubt about it, there's a ton of knowledge and experience here that I know I've had the benefit of more than once.

Look forward to seeing pics of it.

Back