New Rota Wheel Design-14x6

so cal mark

True Classic
Rota is willing to make this wheel design for me in a 14x6 size, 4x98 of course. The offset would be +15. These would be available for spring delivery and the price for 4 wheels and center caps would be about $530.

I'd like comments on the wheel design, negative or positive. This is one of the few wheels that Rota makes in a 14" diameter. The entire order has to be one color; silver, steel gray, gold or gunmetal.

Not my fave...

But I'm 40+, and just not a fan of "rimless" wheel designs. They look like the wheel equivalent of tennis shoes that have no sole wrapping up the edge of the shoe.

cant say until I see a P-shop of em mounted. As of now though I'm leaning to "not my taste"

I have always been a fan of these actually....
http://www.rotawheels.com/wheels.asp?wheelid=3
but they don't make a size I'm interested in.
I would be looking for a 13x8" and 13x7"
But... that's what i need to work with the Dallara kit... I guess I would settle for a 15" rim... but then it's so hard to find a tire in the width i want that has the overall diameter I need.

I'm considering these Rota's
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/15-R...30485207034QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fWheels
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/15X8...70447453305QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fWheels
Or maybe these Axis:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/15x8...60265865347QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fWheels
I run these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/15x8...538023872QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fWheelson
Sportmax 501's on my '91 GTi and liked them really well and always thought they'd look good on an X1/9
CIMG1016.jpg

I think they are a bit to modern for the X, but not so much that they would look horrible. Personally I would consider them in black, and black only.

These are my ideal wheels, ssr mk2 or similar.
4246551748_925a59a279.jpg

Ill take that car with them as well.

I've seen similar...

But for me they make the wheels look too large for the delicate styling of the body. Over the years those wheels with deep insets have always looked attractive. Purely personal observation.

I guess I may be the odd guy out but I like the wheels much better than the other Rotas. They have a more modern appearance but don't look like they should be on a civic. I will be considering a set in silver for my ugly brown X project.

What size tires are would a 14 inch rim use on an X1/9

If you use 185/60-14 the diameter is now 22.8 compared to 185/60-13 which is 21.8. Will 22.8 fit on the X1/9 without rubbing?

Hey Mark... I like Vanilla too...

Just in case you wanna know what FLAVORS we like also...

HA!

I don't know what your REAL purpose in ordering these are... but if YOU like them, well then get them.

I think ONE REAL purpose for going to a larger wheel would be the availability of the RUBBER to go on them.. and the limitations we currently have with 13's. Fourteen's aren't gonna be much better for long though... and IMHO, going past a 15 on an X1/9 is like putting 24's on a Civic.

So I say all that to simply say... if it were ME, I'd look into having 15 x 6 and/or 15 x 7's built... giving you a much better tire selection in the 50, 55 and 40 series.

Just in case you wanna know what FLAVORS we like also...

HA!

I don't know what your REAL purpose in ordering these are... but if YOU like them, well then get them.

I think ONE REAL purpose for going to a larger wheel would be the availability of the RUBBER to go on them.. and the limitations we currently have with 13's. Fourteen's aren't gonna be much better for long though... and IMHO, going past a 15 on an X1/9 is like putting 24's on a Civic.

So I say all that to simply say... if it were ME, I'd look into having 15 x 6 and/or 15 x 7's built... giving you a much better tire selection in the 50, 55 and 40 series.

EXACTLY!
I have a set of kosei k1 racing wheels i had tirerack drill blanks in 4x98 for a 15x7" rim. they looked way better on a stock x lowered a few inches. I don't care for them with my Dallara kit now...
Also... trying to find a 15" tire with an overall diameter under 22" is getting very difficult.... well I say that..... but all I ever look at are performance tires.... so I'm meaning like DOT R tires or falken azenis or something like that.

I already offer 15x6 Rotas for the X, but it seems as if there is more demand for a 14" wheel. Rota only makes a couple of wheels in 14s, so it would have to be one of those in a 4x98. My opinion is that this wheel looks too bulky for an X with the wide spokes but I was looking for some other opinions before committing to an order. I agree that 14" tires are going the way of the 13s with fewer sizes available

I've found it seams at least for performance rubber that 14's are the hardest to get rubber for. 13's and 15's are easier....

Only thing that makes it tough for 15's is trying to maintain a minimum overall diameter. And with 13's.... rubber thats wide enough.

I agree with you Mark

The spokes on these wheels just strike me as too big for the X. I do like the 15x6 Rota wheels you offer that look like the old Minilite wheels.

Back