New to the Forum... My '78 X from Malta!

Hi from the UK

Spent some time on that pretty island group a while back. Got to know the car scene very well too. One of the guys had a gold 1500. I think his name was David Spiteri and he and his wife were living in St. Pauls somewhere (this was back in '93/4).

I love the history of the islands and would like to get back there again - though not in August as it's too hot!

If you could let us know your first name it would be easier to address you in future.

Pappa - Malta has its own language - Maltese - which is, like English, a mixture of many languages. But for most visitors English is widely used. Malta holds the distinction of being the only island to be honoured by being the recipient of the George Cross (the highest award for gallantry to civilians) for its sacrifices to the Allied cause in defending the gateway to the Mediterranean from both fascist forces, German and Italian.

WOW Pottsy...

You are indeed a varied and educated man...

Interesting that George Cross is the name that honors those in Malta and Laurie Cross in Spain (originally British) is the one I had been confused with!

The only other reference to Maltese is the infamous Maltese Falcon of many mysteries I have come across... but obviously have not studied hard enough. HA!

Well, I live a rather sheltered life here in LA-LA-Land... what can I say?

wow small world (island)

Pottsie not sure if it's the same family but I worked with a David Spiteri Jr. who's parents retired to Malta to raise horses , I was there in 2003.

so Malta is known after all :)

I'm Chris by the way. Rude of me for not properly introducing myself:

I'm 23. Just graduated after reading for a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering. Only recently have I started working with Methode Electronics as a Mold tool design engineer.

Looking forward to getting to know you fantastic people a lil' bit better!

Hi Craig

David Spiteri worked in a bank from recollection. His dad (whose first name I didn't ask) had a British car collection to die for.

Pappa - I think you might be confusing the Rock of Gibraltar with Malta. Gib, or the Rock as it's known to brits, is situated in the Straits of Gibraltar at the tip of southern Spain.
My earlier description of the function of Malta was in error as Gib covered the entrance to the Med and Malta was a defensive strategic jump off point controlling the southern approach to Sicily and the coast of north Africa - Libya in particular. Malta received and forwarded convoys to both destinations following the defeat of Rommel by joint forces commanded by Montgomery at El-Alamein.
Axis forces bombed the island for many months without respite decimating the Maltese population and forcing starvation upon the long suffering inhabitants.

And Pappa - as far as knowing about the wider world, how can it be otherwise when 90% of Californians haven't a passport or have crossed the state line in their lives!
(Apart from serving their country, of course!) HA!

The Maltese Falcon was, of course, a golden statuette of said bird. The Maltese connection was another part of the history of the island as, from memory, it was conquered by the Knights Templar, otherwise known a the Crusaders led by King Richard the Lionheart on his many wars with the Moors and Arabs in the name of Christianity. They used the christian cross with wide flared ends - similar to WW1 German crosses - called the Maltese Cross which is now the symbol of the island state.

I think someone will probably tell me that some of that last info was bogus - perhaps I should have stayed awake in Harrop's history class after all!

The ownership of Gibraltar has been a thorn of anger and discontent to the Spanish for around three hundred years but remains essentially British by the common consent of the inhabitants of the island, despite the odd escalation of hostilities making access from the Spanish mainland impossible on occasion.

Nice to make your acquaintance Chris! You'll soon bed in .........we're all nuts here!:wacko:

Last edited:
Back