New water pump questions

popsprocket

Daily Driver
Hey guys, so after the great success of getting my car running last weekend, and this weekend being booked for cutting rust out I'm looking ahead to the things that need to be done in the near future. If you've watched the video of the cars first start you can catch my dad say "it's spraying water on me off the pump".

It's not worth repairing the pump since Matt sells them at very reasonable prices.

So I have two questions, first is will this water pump suit my car; I have a heater tap line in the car but no AC:
http://www.midwest-bayless.com/stor...l.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=192998&i=250929072

My car is plated as a '79 but to be honest I think it may be one of the Australian delivered '78 models that got rebadged when they finally got released for sale.

Second question is - the haynes book of lies says it's possible to replace the pump without dropping the engine out, but in practice does it make more sense to take the engine out?

Keep in mind that taking the engine out is a serious can of worms for me in terms of the things I'll find that I want to clean and replace and all those wonderful things I don't have the money to do right at this instant.

Thanks in advance guys.

it is possible to replace the pump without dropping the engine, you just unbolt the engine mount, and jack the engine up that should afford you with some extra room to wiggle the pump out after removing the bolts, however if you are going to replace that whole unit, its much easier if you have the access panel, the heater ports are on the pipes either from the head our exiting the pipes that are bolted onto the pump housing itself, so it shouldnt be an issue

Done it a couple of times...

'74, 1300.. remove the 4-bolts holding the pump to the housing. Then the bolts holding the housing to block. Gives enough wiggle room if you are just removing the pump. Disconnect the battery and drop the alternator first, I believe.

I concur with Tom

I did not have to drop the engine.
Yes, it was close quarters in there and difficult to see, but removing the access panel was a Godsend.
We also had to smooth the mating surfaces of the return pipe and re-install a gasket there, it was pitted and would not seal. The old pump impeller was very rough and corroded. Also, make sure you get all the gaskets.
All in all, one of the less expensive jobs on the X. :)

Okay thanks guys, that's a little relieving because removing the engine will just reveal so much more work that can be done, but I really want to get it on the road now and worry about rebuilding the engine later.

Water pump centre housing query?

Brian, does the housing that the pulley/impeller assy is bolted to marry up to the X engine OK (ref the assembly in your pic)?
From your pic, that 'centre' housing portion looks somewhat different from the assembly that's on my '78 1300 X!
It's my understanding that X water pumps are common to both 1300 and 1500's.

On a COMPLETELY different subject, are you gonna be watching the rugby on Saturday night?? :whistle:

cheers, Ian - NZ

That pic looks like a non-AC pump. With AC there is a large "ear" for the alternator

IMG_7683.jpg

Lawso,

All I can tell you is that, by inspection, the old and new water pumps are identical.

I went outside to take some pictures of old/new side by side on the bench for you, then realised I have put the old one back on the engine just to get the hoist point back so I can drop the old engine.

Rugby: The experts are giving us 14.5 start. I'm wondering if that's enough! Oh for the days of Eales, Horan, Little, etc!

Regards,

Brian

Yep, my booboo............!!

.....the old and new water pumps are identical....

Thanks Brian, yeah, what puzzled me was the largeish hole in that centre casting - couldn't see what that was for!
When I enlarged the pic (later, after posting my query to you) my "old fart's eyes" could JUST make out the drillings for the heater hose fitting bolts. Initially to me, it just looked like a plain hole for some reason or other, and that had me thinking that housing was for some other application.
That's a fairly attractive price for a NEW complete water pump assembly. Is it from a well-known manufacturer?

Rugby: You may well yearn for the good ol' days of Eales and co. But you would be surprised how many "experts" over here are terrified that Robbie's new guys might just pull the rabbit out of the hat tonight!! If that happens, mate, you will hear our suicidal gunshots all the way over there! . :guns:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Back