no power

bertone47

Low Mileage
Hi everyone, i resently replace spark plugs, coil wires, rotor, and distribuator cap, car was working asome and fast, but affter a big rain here in california a few weeks ago lost power, i tough it was a wet coil or cap, but i check everything and everything is great, even the car works great in neutral even when i accelerate, but when i start driving it, is when i lose the power, specially in low gears, if i shift to a high gears the car works but very weak, i check everything, sparks, wire, coil everything, and nothing, as a told you before, if i start the car sounds great, very smooth and healthy, but when i drive it wow, nothing, why do i have this missfire, if everything looks so normal?? any other sugestion to check or replace?? perhaps any sensor?? i also replace oxighen sensor 2 months ago, thanks guys...
Rafael

Last edited:
Did you check the side pod where the ECU lives?

If the car starts acting up after a heavy rain you should check to see the the side pod drains are not blocked. The ECU is mounted in the passenger side pod. If that drain plug gets clogged the ECU gets drown and causes all sorts of problems.

This is from a 79 I used to own. The PO had wrapped the ECU in duct tape for some reason, but you can see where it is located in the side pod.
im0013042ab.jpg

If the car is carbureted and you do a quick search

one the boards you will find a host of different answers, but in almost EVERY one of those threads you will see something stating "crud in the carb". It is almost certain that is what it is. pull off the air cleaner and remove the jets from the top of the carb one at a time (don't mix them up). Gently pull each one apart and clean with carb cleaner and re-install. Your problem should go away. If it does, you should really dismantle the carb and give it a soak in a gallon pail of carburetor parts cleaner. that is the ONLY way you will stop it from re-occurring. I had the same exact problem and had to pull over and blow out the jets on a daily basis until I soaked it in the gallon of cleaner. Since then...no problems.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Last edited:
the side pod drain is not plug, it drains fine, but perhaps that box as you emntion is the one is giving me the problem, i will try to check it again
thanks...

Another check...

Try checking and/or replacing your fuel filter. It could be that it is clogged up, not allowing enough flow for high-load, but enough for idling. I've come across this before.

Were you driving in the rain?

A lot of guys have removed the splash sheilds around the fan belt end of the engine. In heavy rain and puddels you could have slipped a tooth on the timing belt.

Check the timing marks.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Back