non running X...

OK Mike...

Since you have spares laying around...

But what I am saying is easy also... if he has SPARK... then he does NOT have an electrical problem. He also mentioned that he had 11.7 volts going INTO the ballast resister and 6.something coming OUT to the coil and an admittedly low battery.

You WILL get all the PRAISE and KUDOS if you happen to be right... but I don't think the ignition switch is anywhere near the problem in this case.

I too... feel the FRUSTRATION of thinking I know what's wrong but can't get my hands on it to prove it one way or the other.

BTW... from what I could gleam from our conversation... His CAM TIMING was 180 degrees out... He was telling me that when all the pulleys were on their marks... the rotor was pointing at #1 instead of #4. I can't actually SEE what he was looking at and also can't understand HOW it could be 180 degrees out... but something is NOT right.

Had him rewire the cap and try again and got NO fire or misfire either. I left him with re-insuring he had MULTIPLE sparks at the plugs and then trying ether in the intake.

The ether should confirm whether or not he has a fuel delivery problem... if we have spark anywhere... we should at least get some FIRE somewhere!

All this started after he replaced an intake/exhaust manifold gasket...

Oh... and almost forgot... MY RULE #1 is... "Go back and look at the last thing you messed with!"

Lots of spares...

but that's not the point. It would be nice to see Gilles get his car running, just trying to offer help. Please, no credit required.

Too often these cars get junked because of a simple problem. That can build a bad reputation, and none of us need that. These cars do have their problems, and do require more maintenance than "modern" cars, but if you know the weak spots, and what areas require "extra" maintenance they'll give you a great driving experience for a long time.

The ignition switch is one of those areas that have problems. It's logical to suspect it when you have problems. And IMHO, it's not overkill to keep a "known good" (or new) spare on hand. They are plentiful. And if you don't have a spare to swap in, it's easy to "hot wire" around it to verify that the switch is not the problem. (Hint: There is a brown wire back there that feeds power to the cooling fan. It has 12v.)

Air, Fuel, Spark, and Timing. When your engine won't run all you have to do is figure out which one (ones) of the 4 are not delivering. A methodical approch usually pays off. Or, you can give up and sell it. I've come to own plenty of X's that way, I don't want any more.

!

I've had weak spark problems lots of times on multiple cars. For me, it's always been a bad capacitor on points-type systems, or bad (or wrong) coil. Even had a brand new coil (made in wonderful China) that was bad out of the box.

Hot wire the coil and check for hot spark! One wire direct from the battery to the + pole or resistor , and the other direct to a good ground.

So...

The intake and exhaust were off for a new gasket. Is there a vacuum leak? Are the wires reconnected (including both grounds at cam cover)?

Are both yellow wires attached to coil terminal (1)? One has a green jacket, the other a black jacket. One signals the tach, the other the ECU; the injectors will not work if the ECU doesn't see this signal or if the ground is disconnected.

The engine needs to be mechanically timed to #4 TDC, and the ignition rotor set to fire at #4.

Gregory,
The engine was properly timed, to # 4 on TDC, (sorry Tony, the pulley had a paint mark on it), but the engine was running pretty well actually, until I replaced the intake/exhaust gaskets (completely unrelated).

The engine tries to run for a second or so, then goes flat again, I swapped the ignition switch with the same results.

It seems that I have a loose ground that is keeping the injectors from firing, because the fuel pump runs (you can feel the flow on the return hose)..

Ground

The harness that leads to the injectors has two ground wiress with a ring terminal on the end, that should bolt to the cam cover... are they installed?

Are you sure the injectors are not firing? did you do the stethocope test on them? (get a long extension or other solid metal tool, place it against one of the injectors or all of them and listen for the injector's clicking).

If you hear em, then they are working. Whether they are sending fuel is another story.

Old story (long)

you guys remind me of this old tale about the Jewish farmer, in that little village in Eastern Europe, how came to the Rabi complaining his geese are dying. 'What do they eat" asks the Rabi
-Stale bread and leftovers
-feed them grain
A few days later, "Rabi, the geese are still dying ".
-What do they drink
-Plain water from the pond
-Change that to water that had boiled.
A few more days, "Rabi, they are still dying "
-Where do they sleep?
-Out in the shed
-Well, bring them into the house
The guy didn't come again so the Rabi went and asked him "whats with the geese?
-they all died
-too bad, I still have so many suggestions for you...​

This is how my engine acted...

The engine tries to run for a second or so, then goes flat again, I swapped the ignition switch with the same results.

When I forget to connect the hose from the AFM to the intake. Huge brain fart there... :eek:

but I would check that hose carefully for leaks, and also check the AFM connections. Do you hear the fuel pump running when you open the "doggie door" with the key in the "run" position?

Pete

AH-HAAA! So it is fuel delivery!

I betcha you've knocked off a ground lead or wire somewhere in the FI circuitry...

Especially if it actually fired and ran for a second.

Time to read and walk through the FI Troubleshooting Guide...

http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/fits/index.html#ljetguide

... and you MAY need to get use to using that VOM we were talking about earlier.

Glad to hear it was COCKPIT ERROR when it came to the cam timing... and if we are gonna continue this kinda thing... you need to get a camera and a SKYPE account so I can actually SEE what you are doing!

Sorry for all the trouble you are having... wish I could run out there and give you a hand but I'm booked solid through this weekend.

Keep in touch or give me a call...

Back