Not for everyone but...

geekdaddy

X1/9 Learner's Permit...
I found a good price on new sheepskin covers at Costco. Presently in-store in NH for $59.99 ea. I think they're the same as these which are available for $95 on Amazon:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MKR7CC/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1/192-6104434-5916725?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=1XH4956DTVHV0EAC8E6P&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_i=B005MKQKXY"]Amazon.com: Eurow Sheepskin Seat Cover, Universal Fit Premium Pelt - Champagne: Automotive[/ame]

Anyhow, I don't love the look of sheepskin covers but these seem to be fairly good quality and economical and will hopefully keep my butt, back, and thighs from frying on my original black vinyl seats in the summer sun. ...and they are sorta "period correct" for a 70's or 80's car, eh?

Just got mine home and slipped them over my '81 seats. Didn't fully attach them but they seem to fit almost perfectly.

I used to get excited when I was buying a used car and it had these in it because I knew the leather underneath was next to perfect.... Mostly on the old Mercedes and Jags...:)

I recall my first set I bought... was looking to protect my seats with them but the covers had an blue ink stamp signifying the origin of manufacturer of the covers on the seat side.

After a few weeks I had a permanent blue smudge on the seat where the cover once said "made in new zealand"

Last set of seat covers i ever bought...

OK here's how it went...

Did a test fit. The covers fit well overall. Generally snug except for the tops of the seat backs and the fit isn't bad there -- just not snug. The straps which go under the seat bottom don't all work for early model cars. The two front and two rear are fine. But the individual straps on each side cannot go under the seat bottom because the rails block them. There may be a creative solution but the seat covers seem to fit ok and don't move around anyhow.

They are VERY comfortable. Real sheepskin. But definitely look kinda funky. Sorta like Cousin Itt (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OUdMt-Knz...Itt-addams-family-5684028-356-288+%281%29.jpg) and his other cousin are riding in my X -- perhaps I should buy a hat and pair of sunglasses for each seat :wink2: I'm going to use them next Spring/Summer and see how I feel after a season with them. Will keep my seats protected and my butt cool for a season if I don't keep them long-term. Photos below of my original seats (which are in excellent condition), the covers/packaging, and how they look inside my X.

z0jl.jpg

aunm.jpg

pvos.jpg

They look great, as sheepskin covers go

I really like your idea of a hat and sunglasses!

I often sit in my car in the garage watching TV and eating a cup-o-noodles. I should invest in a set. Looks comfy.

I've had a similar set for over 10yrs now that I move around from X to X pending which car I'm driving the most or on long road trips.
this helps protect the leather from the wear/tear.
I cut the straps off completely for easy peasy on/off.

They've held up well!
went with the gray that blends in much better to me with the black vadar.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Eurow-Sheepskin-Cover-Universal-Premium/dp/B005MKQKXY/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1385178816&sr=1-2&keywords=Eurow+Sheepskin+Seat+Cover+gray"]Gray covers[/ame]

Back