Oil pressure gauge......

petex19

True Classic
I was wondering if anyone has or knows if you can install an oil pressure gauge in the x to the existing oil pressure sender for the cluster warning light. I connected an aftermarket water temp. gauge to the Fiat water temp gauge sender in the head and it works great but since my x doesn't have an oil pressure gauge I wasn't sure if it would work.

'PeteX1/9

See Matt Brannon...

He has the "T"'s and the sensor you need.

Last edited:
it'll work

The PO of my car replaced the pressure switch for the idiot light with a pressure sensor. It took me a little while to figure out why the idiot light acted so funny. Can't speak for how it would be different in a FI car, but the carb'ed ones shouldn't be an issue as it just operates the idiot light.

I've been eyeing this one on ebay for my ride.

well it

depends are you going digital or mechanical?
with a mechanical gauges if you want the dummy light to work you will need the doubler with a mechanical gauge it has a dummy light built in so all you need is an adaptor for the sensor on the block go to egaues.com they have the best prices out there.
http://www.egauges.com/default.asp
this is the one I'm looking at it Features low scrolling warning (5 psi) and user adjustable flashing warning. Gauge and 1/8 NPT Sender for $56.75
A010E060Y.jpg

they also sell the Adapter Bushing - 1/8 NPT female x M14 X 1.25 male
R7966.jpg

I was wondering if anyone has or knows if you can install an oil pressure gauge in the x to the existing oil pressure sender for the cluster warning light. I connected an aftermarket water temp. gauge to the Fiat water temp gauge sender in the head and it works great but since my x doesn't have an oil pressure gauge I wasn't sure if it would work.

'PeteX1/9

There are numerous ways of doing it, but this is the closest to factory without drilling & taping an oil galley in the block.
gauge sender http://www.fiatplus.com/oil-pressure-gauge-sender-pr-289973.html
light sender http://www.fiatplus.com/long-oil-pressure-light-sender-pr-296857.html
For the gauge you can use an earlier dash gauge that actually has a gauge, or add a Fiat gauge, like a round one, someplace else.

Just ordered this...

Didn't know it existed, but is ideal for my setup. Got some crush washers too. :dance2:

Pressure at top of block vs. bottom.

Given that the oil pressure gauge sender is typically mounted at the bottom of the block, does one get exactly the same readings when it is attached to the hole for the pressure switch sender which is located at the top of the block?

Cheers,
Dom.

I asked this question a while back and...

Given that the oil pressure gauge sender is typically mounted at the bottom of the block, does one get exactly the same readings when it is attached to the hole for the pressure switch sender which is located at the top of the block?
Dom.

I asked this question a while back and I'll try digging up the thread in a moment. The answer is that the pressure should be pretty much the same, which makes sense because the pressure is high enough (tens of psi) that the effect of the gravitational head (an ounce or so per square inch) is negligible.

BUT... I asked the question because I had just installed a tee to feed the oil pressure gauge, and the oil pressure gauge was reading only marginally higher at 5000 RPM than at idle:eek:

Now, I had driven that motor some thousands of miles with no pressure gauge to show me low and scary readings, and nothing bad happened, so I'm fairly sure that the OP gauge is lying and I don't really have a problem... but someday I'm going to have to track it down. I tried two OP senders, two OP gauges, tested the wiring by grounding the sensor lead and watching the needle move to the top, exchanged the OP sender and the idiot light switch in the tee, same behavior consistently.

Got it yesterday...

So that's what, 2 days and it's in my hand. Fast shipping dept there Chris!

If only I had time to put it in...

Back