Oil Pressure Light Flucuating On and Off

RicB

True Classic
Seems weird but ever since I jacked up the rear of my car (an 86 with 54,000 miles) to work on the spade connector to the solenoid I'm seeing the oil pressure light going on and off. So I read through the older posts. First thing that seemed to be recommended was an oil & filter change so an hour ago I got that done with Castrol GTX 20/50. But I'm still seeing the light flucuating. Isn't on at idle and seems to come on and go off at varying RPM's. Not real steady and most of the time not very bright. I'm hoping it's the pressure switch and not the oil pump. Maybe another loose wire (like the one to my solenoid)? Any thoughts appreciated. BTW - where is the pressure switch located? I can't seem to find a picture in any of the manuals. Thanks.

Install a guage.

The oil pressure switch is on the block above the starter. I would suggest looking at the spade connector and if all looks good then install a pressure guage to see what the actual pressure is.

By grounding the wire on the oil pressure sender you shoud get a light on the dash. Most likely problems are a bad or worn wire rubbing against ground or a faulty pressure switch.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Seems weird but ever since I jacked up the rear of my car (an 86 with 54,000 miles) to work on the spade connector to the solenoid I'm seeing the oil pressure light going on and off. So I read through the older posts. First thing that seemed to be recommended was an oil & filter change so an hour ago I got that done with Castrol GTX 20/50. But I'm still seeing the light flucuating. Isn't on at idle and seems to come on and go off at varying RPM's. Not real steady and most of the time not very bright. I'm hoping it's the pressure switch and not the oil pump. Maybe another loose wire (like the one to my solenoid)? Any thoughts appreciated. BTW - where is the pressure switch located? I can't seem to find a picture in any of the manuals. Thanks.

The switch is located just up the block from the starter, below the head gasket surface. Good chance you knocked the wire off.
If not, your description is one of the ways the light sender fails.

Loose wire!

The wire to your oil pressure warning light sender is disconnected and grounding out randomly near the sender.

Look around that general area and you will spot it. It's likely you accidentally disconnected it while fixing the other loose wire. Murphy's Law! :wall:

Here's a pic taken from down around where the starter would be...the brown rubber boot near the point of the B arrow covers the connectors. Mine's an '86, but all cars with just the warning light and no gauge should be the same.

IMG_0701-1.jpg

Back