Opinions on DF & WF

Should DF & WF be separate or combined?

• I say leave them separate in spite of any tech overlaps

Votes: 24 72.7%
  • I say combine them we have a real search engine now

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • I have no preference, whichever way is fine by me...

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
Curious whether it makes any difference now to have the DF & WF separated the way we've been trying out over here...

The original idea was to separate them so tech threads would be more cleanly/easily archived/searched without having to wade through "all the other" DF postings in results... so we've been trying it out a while here...

But, on this system, we have a much more functional search engine, compared to old N54, which kind of makes that a moot concern now anyway, you just plug in a search and a topic is found regardless what section it is posted in or what else is around it...

Then theres also the point that having DF & WF separate seems to be confusing some folks, as a rather significant number of tech threads still end up getting posted in the DF anyway, which then some mod has to go move them all the time, or else archive-wise it kind of defeats/makes redundant the whole reasoning of having a separate WF...

So just curious for user opinions at large now that we've been running the 2 sections side by side a while... Not saying we will or won't change it (yet again), just want to know your thoughts now that we've had time to try it both ways...

Seperate is better...

It allows you to wade through tech at one time, other stuff another. If they're mingled it makes it less fun to read. Cross posting will always occur, but less and less over time as folks learn to navigate the forum.:read:

well

There are advantages and disadvantages to both "methods"... personally I can go either way about it... I just like to know what the community at large is thinking at a given time...

I tend to agree with Gregory,,,however

It seems I always click on "new posts" and go down the list, so I'll vote no preference.

WOW

It is so rare we ever ever have a clear concensus/majority around here on ANYthing... kind of refreshing to see

OK then I guess the WF is a popular addition the the forum family! :cool:

Thanks for voicing your opinions folks :) I appreciate it

Works good...

...hopefully keep WF fairly pure and clear of spam.
Between AAU and DF, should be enough areas for
idle chit-chat and OT stuff.

Dam Mac...hope you ask one of the other Mods to
carry the same stick you do...

Swap order on index?

Thanks for the kind words MM, I am confident the guys will keep it on line just fine, and also, that the users (all you guys) will keep THEM in line ;)

Anyway all, this all brings on another question which is that I was considering swapping the 'firing order' of the forum sections around before revamping the nav system one last time, the new header images etc. I was considering bumping the WF to the 'pole position' on the index and in navigation menus, and moving the DF to the #2 slot on the list. My motive was not so much to diminish the DF role at all but more to clarify the placement of tech topics in the WF. I am of the belief that most folks who do post in the DF a tech topic typically do so, intentionally or unintentionally, because it is simply the top most forum section on the site's index. I think if WF were in that slot most folks would probably instinctively post all tech in there right out of the gate... and I also suspect less non-tech would go in there by accident than vice versa.. and also suspect less people would be bothered by a non tech thread being moved from WF to DF than vice versa... overanalyzing? :geek: :hmm: Thoughts? :confused:

Mac, I do not think it would make a difference people will miss post regardless. When I was a mod for a forum, most the time all I did was make sure people were posting in the right place, if they were not I just moved it for them and then tossed them a PM about why it was moved. You can only go so far to prevent people from making mistakes, yet somehow even people who know where to post slip up.

As it is now, I think most people have a good feel for where to post what. Changing this will just mess up our groove.

I have 2 gripes with our nav bar though,
1) the texts do not directly go above the related image
2) the text is not hyperlinked

other then that its fine in the order it is now IMO

Thank you

I appreciate the comments :) I do not wish to mess up anyone's flow, on the contrary, just speculating on options, throwing random ideas on the table to chew on. I like to know folks reactions/feedback to them, it helps me a lot. I do plan to do the navbar overhaul soon as time permits (I still have to reload photoshop, and scan some stuff, will start this weekend if time allows)... if I don't get to the full setup then in the meantime I'll try to rework the temp-text as you mentioned because that seems like a very good suggestion, thanks again

Perhaps make the " WF " icon more distinct.

Replace it with a ,,,,wrench,screw driver, BFH. ,,, It'll put an image bug in the brain. Thanks for all you do Mac.:worship:

WF icon

I had in mind a nice little cutaway diagram of a yellow 1300 for that one :cool: just gotta "get a round tuit" :whistle:

Back