Opinions ? Please

lezesig1

expatriot
Removed springs and cleaned.

I see stress risers (divots) all over the surface of the coils.

Swap them for better or use as-is ? Opinion ?

Anybody ever snapped a spring ?

Thanks upfront
lezesig '72 850Sp

Looks more like rust divots to me

Stress would show up as cracks. I see (what you show) a lot with old struts ridden in salt-laden roads,
like the roads here in New England. The spring you show looks like it was a salty dawg. :)
Those risers are likely where the corrosion couldn't form while the spring was sitting in the plastic ring.

I've never seen a broken spring.

I would use them if you're not looking for beauty over function. :2c:

Yes I have broken springs, but only when I lived in northern New England and only after hitting a healthy frost heave...

Those don't look too bad. You can certainly use them. They generally break when an area is notably necked down by the rust.

Of course given the general level of all of your other work, those have no place on your car :)

Looks bad but realistically they probably won't break in normal street use. If it were my car I'd replace them unless it was for a lightly used car that I really didn't want to spend any money on. I'm sure there will be those that will tell you it's a serious safety issue and they should be replaced under any circumstances. Certainly there is some risk to reusing them but in my experience the risk is very low. Typically when springs break the only thing the driver will notice is a noise. They usually just break off the last coil. But it could break in the middle of a high speed corner, take out the tire and cause the car to crash and burn so...

Back