Oregon 2010 Meet and Trackday

Mark Plaia

True Classic
Oregon 2010 Meet and Trackday

Well, gang, we are just over three months to the Oregon event this year at Howard Prairie Lake Resort in Ashland, OR, and it is time to start planning. The event takes place the weekend of July 16-18. Time to start thinking about travel plans, get out the camping gear and preparing the car for the Track Day. Last that I checked, there were still schooners (travel trailers) available for rent as well. Sign up for the overall event will be done on the MIRAFIORI.COM website.

As I am organizer of Track Day, I will get the ball rolling with a separate Trackday sign up. This is a really fun event and an opportunity to drive your FIAT the way it was meant to be driven.

What is Track Day?

The Oregon Track Day is an autocross event for both novice and experienced FIAT drivers. It is a great opportunity to try your hand at an autosport event, with minimal expense and an easygoing, like minded group. It is open to all FIAT enthusiasts and FIAT Group automobiles participating in the Oregon event. Street-driven cars are welcome and encouraged, including convertibles with roll bars. The event is run at the Jackson County Sports Park in Medford, OR on the go-kart track. It's a great venue and each run is usually close to two minutes long. Each of the last few years there has been the opportunity to run as many times as you wish, though there will be only four runs with "official" times for competition. Many spectators and even a lot of the drivers do "ride alongs" with the drivers running for times. It is great fun and low key as compared to normal autocross events.

There will be three competition classes:
STREET – for street-driven cars with tires having a DOT treadwear rating 140 or above
RACE – for race prepared cars, and all cars with slicks or tires having a DOT treadwear rating below 140
TOP DAWG - the run what you brung, no holds barred, take no prisoners, no excuses, no whining run group for all the marbles and all the bragging rights. There is only First Place in this class, there is no second place. Do not sign up for this class unless you are ready to go toe-to-toe with some of the fastest FIATs in the country and their smack talking drivers!

How do I register?

There are slots available for the event, so grab your slot now by contacting Mark Plaia at trackday.2010 (at) comcast.net Cost has not been finalized yet, but probably $40.

What do I need to do to my car?

In order to participate, both the driver and car must pass a basic safety inspection of the following:

Car:
Battery securely mounted with clamp (no bungee cords)
Seatbelt – 3-point belt preferred
Roll bars in convertibles (X-1/9 is exempt)
Functioning brakes and throttle return spring
Good wheel bearings and ball joints
Securely mounted seat
No active leaks or drips
Remove all loose objects from interior and trunk

Driver:
Valid Driver’s license
Full shoes – no sandals, open-toed shoes, or bare feet
Helmet – Snell 95 or newer, M or SA rated (loaners will be available)
Long pants and long sleeve shirt recommended but not required.

**Please note that the vehicle Tech Inspection will be held at the campsite Thursday afternoon, and we will be asking drivers to sign insurance waivers for themselves and any crew/guests at that time. Please make a point of arriving at Howard Prairie before 6pm Thursday, or notify us if you plan to be later.

There is also a program for newcomers to Track Day. This year, first time participants of the Track Day event have the option of being hooked up with a veteran "buddy". A number of the experienced participants have agreed to help out newcomers with all aspects of preparing themselves and their cars for the event. Once signed up and identified as a newcomer to the event, the person will be given contact information for an experienced competitor, hopefully in their local area. They will interact one on one to help the new participant get themselves and their car prepared, answer any questions that they may have, and probably get some good tips on how to make their car and themselves faster at the event. They can also discuss such mundane subjects as how the event is structured, when and how to get to the site, what work assignments entail to perform, etc. Most all of these things are covered in the preparation meeting the night before, but there is an awful lot going on, so things can be missed. So, if you are a first-timer, identify yourself as such on the entry registration and you will be hooked up with one of the veterans.

Ciao,

Last edited:
This is a great event...

And has become a family tradition for us. This year it's just me and my daughter, er, Bertone Corsa Racing Assistant.:dance2:

Time to bump this event back to the top of the list....

If you have not considered attending the Oregon 2010 event and the Track Day, please think about it. Both are great events. :D

Track day is one month from today!...

Time to sign up if you are going to. Cost will be about $60 or $70 per participant.

Ciao,

Youj know mark I keep saying this..... but one of these years I'm showing up for this. Looks like it won't be this year though. I'm determined to get my newely installed Dallara kit painted and finished before a big event here in september. But I'm warning I plan on showing up one year.... lol

Back