Pedal cluster progress...

budgetzagato

Administrator
Over the past week and much of today I got things moving along pertaining to the pedal cluster and related systems. Originally I replaced the clutch slave which fixed the dead clutch pedal but as these things go I was pretty sure the clutch m/c would fail at an inconvenient time. So I planned and collected parts. My plan was new clutch slave, m/c, brake m/c, hoses, pads, rotors.

Removing the pedal cluster was a pain, even having soaked the fasteners and line nuts for 2 weeks. Part of the problem was previous work done poorly, and part simple corrosion and age. I ended up destroying several of the line nuts turning things loose.

So, I dismantled the cluster and went in search of lines and nuts. The M10x1.25 and M12x1.25 line nuts are pretty rare outside of Fiat parts vendor circles, and even within Fiat parts vendor circles no one has the larger ones for the clutch line. After asking around town a lot, I was directed to a local brake repair shop, ABS in Lacey, WA and got 3 lines made with the correct ends for the pedal cluster for $36. I also bought a flare tool, one that can create the odd Fiat bubble flare.

I did a quick dismantle and refurb of the cluster and treated the rusty areas, and removed, cleaned and lubed the nylon shaft bushing. Reassembly was a breeze and I am pleased with the result:

IMG_0988.jpg

Reinstallation was also easy, and I was able to replace the line nuts on the existing lines in the front trunk with some re-working of the lines. Upon reinstallation, I found one of the ends of the clutch line on the pedal cluster wouldn't seal, and had to remove it. Reshaping the sides of the bubble somewhat with flat pliers created more squish potential and fixed the leak.

One thing I figured out the hard way is you should leave reinstallation of the reservoirs for last, I had some fluid drain through the new m/c's while I refitted the front trunk lines.

I decided to leave the front brake booster bypass project for another day, so I could disconnect the booster vacuum line and see how I like the function. I had a line made to bypass the entire circuit that goes from the front to the rear-located front brake servo and back to the front brakes. If I bypass this system with the 36" line in the front trunk, all that can be removed. But that would leave the brakes unboosted and I want to try them that way before I commit. This option also requires some sort of abandonment of the rear-located pressure imbalance switch for the dash warning light. Not sure if I want to lose that.

Also, I began fitting the new rotors, pads and flexible lines. So far the rears are done:

IMG_0990.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to get the fronts done and go for a long-needed test drive. :)

Good work.

Having replaced the brake MC on my 78 x, you have my empathy. Where can I get the bubble flare tool you bought? I havn't been able to find one like that.

one thing you should do is

If you can, is upgrade to braided brake lines. They make a huge difference and you will never regret it.

Warren

Back