performance increase 1300

A short update on the build.

Almost changed the plan (again) and seriously considered buying a 1600 sohc engine.
But someone ones said before I started this project "make a plan and stick to it " ;)
Original plan to get a kg/pk ratio of just below 10 stands.

I have stripped the engine, except for the turning bits.
The machine shop prefers to do this themselves.

photojan13155420.jpg

Next I want to take away as much rust from the inside as possible, also cleaned the outside a little.
Tapped most holes to clean the threads.

Is there something else I can/should do myself before bringing the block over to the shop?

I'm going to resurrect this thread as there's more info to add which is relevant, and it would keep everything in once place. If anyone wants to see the same basic information but in a more organised format, check out turbo124.com and look in the X19 section.

Two Australia based forum members have decided to take the plunge with engine builds, one even "local" to me in W.A.... so rather like I did with Paul right at the beginning of this thread, I'm going to transpose a chunk of text which are some initial PM's back and forth....It shows a little of the process in deciding what spec they are going for.

So far in this thread there is one of my favorite spec sohc's , Lets call it Factory spec, as it uses all parts from the Fiat parts bin. Brian's engine is this spec. 1500 cc with an overbore, over 10:1 static using stock 1300 style pistons, either 34.7CH small flycut with a pimple or 34.9CH flat small flycut , 37.5 intake / 33 exhaust (34 in seat throat), euro 1500 cam,euro 1500 intake manifold, 34dmtr21 which is a 25/27 variant with manual strangler-choke, twin out ex manifold, stock twin out front pipes , free flow exhaust.

One forum member (maz124) is building another of these, except he wants to use one of my 36dcnva carb setups / modified 1500 euro manifold. Other difference will be he has factory electronic ignition and would like to run vacuum advance for smooth round town driving and economy (Brian runs aftermarket Lumenition - which has been running strong for at least 10 years since I sold it to him!!)

The other forum member (GavX19) hasn't settled on a final spec yet ... and we will start with his build spec decision making process.

################################################################

Hi,

I have an 1300 4 speed X19 with a spare motor I am rebuilding and would like to warm it up to maybe 90-100hp. Some questions:
1. What to do with the head - is it worth putting in bigger valves?
2. Cam- I have my eye on a 'stage 1" cam from Vicks in the US that has been welded and profiled for performance but still offers street drivability. Any better ideas?
3. Pistons - pop up pistons for upping comp (~9.5/1) or normal pistons and shave block/head? Would pop ups foul bigger valves with higher lift?
4. Carburation- thinking of going to 34dat(?)

I would like it to all 'marry' together nicely for a warm street engine that breathes well and is fun to drive. Budget is limited of course.

Thanks!!

#################################################################

and my response to him

Hi,

welcome to the forum and Fiat ownership.

1. Head work isn't cheap, but it does unlock a lot of extra power. Good thing is you can do a lot of the work yourself and get good results, but you will need to spend good dollars on quality machine work and quality parts. Yes oversize valves are the go. You just can't open the seat throat out enough with the stock seat to get the flow needed to get where you want to go, and your goal is realistic and achievable. It makes the X a lot nicer to drive, Aus spec 1300 is around 63hp.... euro spec is 75hp ... so that's our benchmark that we need to get a 33% improvement over.

2. I don't like regrinds anyway (as you would have read by now online) and for your needs there are better choices. My recommend cam for your goal would be a euro grind 1500 cam, just like I put in Brian's (bmck on this forum) engine. They come up for sale on ebay as new from time to time (where Brian got his) We also have a few UK based people on the forum, and I know they have sold used cams to other members here... so there are options.

3. The trouble with the 1300 engine is that your compression limited. You can only skim and shave so much off everything, and the "simple" compression ratio limit is about 9.6:1...to get decent performance we really want this more like 10:1 (or a little more)

Have you given some thought to finding a core 1500 to rebuild, getting the CR up where it needs to be is a far simpler job... I've seen core bottom ends go for as little as a few hundred dollars, which would be well worth it, the extra HP and torque (especially the torque) will make the difference you feel before and after your engine swap over will seriously be like "night and day"

4. 34DAT is a good carb and definitely worth the upgrade, but not all carbs are the same. The "biggest" carb that will fit straight on to your existing manifold (which isn't the preferred inlet manifold anyway) is a 34DATRA from an Australian delivered Beta 2litre ... these have the largest choke (venturi) sizes at 25/27 ... stock carb venturis are 22/22 so the 34 will flow up to around 120hp. But... the 34DAT you can buy from the states doesn't have these big venturis so will never breathe as well as this... and these engines like to breathe.

Trouble is 34datra 's are hard to find in good condition, most being very worn in the shaft bushings. Reconditioning carbs is expensive (if you pay to get it done) and fiddly (when you do it yourself) so the new carb option is a good idea

I can sell you a 36dcnva setup, search in the FS&W section which will have some pics and text. It gives you the new carb and the modded 1500 spec inlet manifold.

If you do go with a dmtr/datr style carb, you really should be chasing a 1500 inlet manifold anyway.

Which leads me to 5. you haven't mentioned anything about exhaust yet...there are some serious gains to be had over the stock Australian spec system,and this NEEDS to be in your budget if you want to get anywhere near your goal.

SteveC

Last edited:

Very early thoughts on exhaust were to use these headers and go to a pair of free flow or hotdog type compact mufflers to make a twin exhaust setup. Or is it better to go for extractors?
###############################################################
Gavan,

Use the twin out manifold, those front pipes, mount the system like that one does... but those mufflers with the twin outs are generally completely crap from a performance perspective... you really want something that flows better.

any and all of the off the shelf extractors available will be hard pressed to flow as well as the stock twin out manifold, or provide similar gains for the $$... in fact the exhaust is something you should be doing straight away, with this old motor, right now! The Australian spec system is the restrictive USA spec one, except we didn't have the cat convertor... flow wise ...it really couldn't get much worse!

Then you can enjoy yourself while you do the hard yards with this rebuild...and enjoy it more when you transfer it to your 1300 / 1500 with whatever spec you settle on.

Similar with the carb / manifold upgrade we've been discussing be it a 34DAT or a 36DCNVA, you could use it now and enjoy, and transfer it to the fresh engine and enjoy it some more... plus you get some familiarisation time with the carb so your fresh engine will be somewhere close to begin with tune wise.

SteveC

Another engine I've been peripherally involved with in recent years was RossH 's 1600 stroker. I suppose I was a "surrogate" project manager for his build, I supplied a few of the bits and initially steered him in the 1600 direction... and I get the feeling he is pretty happy with the results he managed ...here's a little excerpt from our conversation way back at the beginning of Jan 2011.

###############################################################
I guess the engine rebuild is where the majority of the questions come in, and the specifics will depend a bit on how things look when we open up. I`m aiming for a warmed up 1500, that will be good fun as a fast road car and maybe a track day or two (the latter sounds like fun, but I have no prior experience of that!). Also want to get this right the first time around!!!

The general game plan so far for the engine:

1. Re-bore block, fit new pistons, rings, bearings etc (for cost reasons I`m going to be sticking with oversized stock pistons if possible)
2. Polish Crank
3. Light skim/dress of block top
4. Aim for CR approx 10:1 (not more than 10.5:1)
5. Lighten flywheel
6. Fit new Thermostat (supplied with gaskets)
7. Fit new distributor/oil pump drive gear (supplied)
8. Fit new oil pressure sender unit
9. Fit new oil pump
10. Fit new water pump
11. Fit Vics sump baffle
12. Remove mechanical fuel pump (not needed) and blank off.
13. Fit new (up rated?) clutch
14. Entire bottom end rotating assembly to be sent for balancing
15. Install New Engine Mounts at re-fit
16. Install CSC Exhaust header and free flow muffler (sending header for ceramic coating prior to fitment….pricey but hopefully worth it!)
17. Cyclinder head and inlet manifold are being sent for porting and flowing, and valves are being upgraded to 40mm inlet and 35mm exhaust.
18. Cutting existing cam to something along the lines of a 35/75/75/35 profile, with 10.5mm lift
19. Fitting ISKY valve springs
20. Am getting the existing 34 Weber modified per the PBS instructions, to keep overall costs in check for now. Sounds like dual 40 DCNF may be the ultimate setup but thats beyond my budget for now!
21. Fitting variable cam pulley from Vics
22. Fitting Crane Cams XR3000 electronic Ignition kit
I`m hoping that all of the above will yield a reasonable increase in power, and possibly allow the rev limit to safely be upped a bit (7500RPM ???).

Any ideas on what the above might yield in terms of power, and any suggestions on additional things I should be doing while everything is in bits?

One thing I have been pondering is how much power can the stock clutch handle, and whether I need to look at upgrades in that department? If I need to upgrade the clutch, what do I do, as I havn`t seen any upgraded kits available on Vics, and Midwest Bayliss etc ?
Cheers,
Ross

Hi Ross,

welcome to the forum.

The first thing in your engine rebuild...pistons.

Stock static CR for the euro 1500 is 9.2:1. The pistons have a large flycut for the valves cast into them. You state that you would like to up the static CR to 10 or 10.5:1... but you also want to use "stock" pistons. This can be done, but not by using pistons that are "stock" for an X19 1500. Several options are available, but basically they involve sourcing "stock" pistons from other models of sohc which have small valve flycuts and a taller compression height, which brings the piston top right up to the block face when at TDC. If you use the right pistons then 10 / 10.5:1 is easily done.

Cylinder head. There is not much point going for larger exhaust valves. The stock 33mm exhaust valve and port flows plenty of air, infact it just about outflows the stock intake valve. With minor mods to the seat throat and some attention to detail in the valve bowl, the stock exhaust valve size is certainly sufficient for the level of build your considering. Inlet valve size, there are stock Fiat valves available at 39.5mm, 37.5mm and 36mm. With near stock port size (28.5mm) and a 37.5mm valve head, plenty of additional flow can be achieved, and port speed is kept high (see "performance increase 1300" thread)

The trouble with large ports and valves is it usually leads to a loss of port velocity, this will make the engine very sluggish at low / mid revs until the port speed climbs high enough to fill the cylinder...it will feel like a two stroke motorbike with a narrow power band...just remember that bigger is not always better. A smaller port with higher air speed will make more torque across the rev range.

The second problem with large valves is the increase in valve shrouding that comes with the increase in head size. Again check the "performance increase 1300" thread for a complete explanation.

Induction. it's a relatively simple job to modify the stock manifold to fit a single DCNF carb. I had several made and sold them with new 36DCNVA carbs, and the results were excellent. (look in the FS&W section and check out the pictures) Modifying the 34dmtr to have larger choke sizes (28mm on both) is more for dedicated track use, and is a compromise for street use. Remember that PBS only did this mod as it followed the rules for certain race classes in the USA, not because it was suitable or best for the street.

In South Africa you get Uno's and Tipo's don't you?

Consider stroking your existing engine to 1600cc by using a crank from a 1372uno engine (67.4mm stroke)

SteveC

################################################################

I'll try to dig up more of Ross' build decision process, and if your reading this Ross, feel free to add anything relevant into this thread.

I think we all can see there are some very common themes in all of these builds.

Firstly, they have come up with a plan, settled on a goal, and (generally) come up with a budget and stuck to it.

Paul would be the exception to the rule in all these examples... but I don't hold that against him... his goal hasn't actually changed as he's still aiming for the same sort of HP and torque... but is going to get there a little differently than the way he first thought of!! He is still in his decision making process, he's been fortunate enough to have had other parts offered to him, he is still moving forward and above all else, he still has his X on the road.

He has gone from doing a few small mods to a cylinder head (which is completed and it's ready to swap over if he ever needs to do it) to now succumbing to the appeal of the extra capacity and tuning potential of a 1500, even thinking 1600!!

Next common thread in all examples is a piston change and following good engineering practices to bump the static CR to a more "performance" oriented level.

And the third common theme is sticking closely to some of Mr Lampredi's original design parameters.

1. Bumping the CR but only to the 10 /10.5 :1 region. For a mild performance build any more is going to be wasted in pumping losses.

2. Euro 1500 cam is a favorite and a good choice for this type of build. Long duration creates issues, high lift is a waste of time unless you know the head is capable of flowing at those lifts. Regrinds have all sorts of issues with cam timing and valve lash...

3. Bigger intake valves are the business.

4. The stock twin out exhaust manifold and a well made exhaust will make HP and is worth every penny

5. You don't need twin carbs, a turbo or an engine swap to make your X19 fun to drive. Shoot for 90 to 100 at the back wheels on a sane budget, and really enjoy the fine piece of Italian engineering you own for what it is.

SteveC

Last edited:
Thanks to SteveC

Steve,
Great to hear from you, thanks for sharing the information. As always, your approach to engine development is very well thought out and grounded in a good 'scientific approach' to proper theory and design. I enjoy reading these reports. When you get a chance let us know how you are progressing with some of your other in-house projects.
Thanks.

Last edited:
performance increase 1300 /1500 sohc

I received a PM from Paul in Europe, I thought the question and response might be interesting to some.

Hey Steve,

Your comments on performance increase sound very realistic.
Also your guide on Turbo124 forum are very welcome.
Especially the road usability...and not going overboard on budget.

Since reading your posts, I have collected for my 1300 '78:
-1500 intake
-34 dmtr from Fiat 127 (venturi are not so much bigger as a 32dmtr, only second stage is bigger, but will high air speed)
-extra carburettor spacer.
-extra 1300 head, for polishing and seat/valve.

New to me are your comments on crank exchange.
As I live in europe I should be able to source one.
How much increase in cc would this give?
Would you recommend it for a 1300?

Thanks for your comments,
Paul.

Hi Paul,

well the 1300 block is shorter than the 1500/1600 block, and this leads to a couple of issues.

The 63.9 stroke crank will fit the 1300 block, no problems, if you overbore to 86.4mm you get a normal 1500 (well 1498cc)

The big issue is the conrod choice... the 1300 conrod is quite short at 120mm, and it is cast. The 1500/1600 conrod is 128.5mm and is forged.

If you want to use a 63.9 throw crank in a 1300 block, the piston will effectively travel 1/2 of the extra throw (8.4mm / 2 = 4.2mm) upwards, and past the top of the block... so there are two choices... make the rod or the piston shorter by this measurement.

Now the stock 1300 piston has a compression height of around 34.9mm, take 4.2mm from this and you now have a compression height of 30.7mm... unfortunately there are no factory pistons from the Fiat range that have the dimensions we want, so you need special pistons made.

Same with the conrods... there is nothing that is a straight swap out fit... so a 115.8mm (120 - 4.2mm) conrod is also a special manufacture... and besides the rod ratio is heading in the wrong direction (115.8/63.9 = 1.81) and it's the SOHC's high rod ratio that makes the engines what they are.

So special pistons it is for 1500cc ... do you want to pay for forged items?? Is this in your budget??

same deal with the 67.4mm stroke crank... it can be made to fit the block, a little bit of grinding here and there to make clearance... but you have again a rod, rod ratio and a piston compression height issue (it gets down to 28.8mm CH)

Now both these engine configurations require the use of the 1300 style conrod ... which is cast ... and this will be the achillies heel of the engine... so to do this conversion properly would mean special pistons and conrods... hardly a budget build, but certainly possible.

SteveC

Hi Steve.
My name is Bintoro, from Jakarta Indonesia and I enjoyed very much this topic. For your information, the engine serial number and the vehicle identification is registered on the certificate of car ownership. Therefore it is easier to change to engine internals to increase the displacement rather than swapping a complete unit, for example the 1500 sohc engine from X 1/9.

Following your explanation, if I want to use a 63.9 throw crank in a 1300 block, I need to find a new piston with compression height of 30.5mm (the CH of Mahle piston p/n 007 80 00 for 128AR.000 is 34.7mm minus 4.2mm (63.9 - 55.5) / 2).
Further searching on Mahle Aftermarket Catalog, I found a suitable piston for Opel Calibra from Mahle p/n 011 75 00 which has similar diameter of 86mm but with compression height of 30.4mm (less 0.1mm than required).

Following are the data for those pistons.
Mahle 007 80 00
FIAT 128 1.3 07/71 - 02/76
128 AR.000 50kW – 68HP
Cylinder Bore [mm] (Ø) 86.0 mm
Length [mm] (L) 77.3 mm
Compression height (KH) 34.7 mm
Pin O.D. (BoØ) 22.0 mm
Pin Length (BoL) 69.0 mm

Mahle 011 75 00
OPEL CALIBRA-A 2.0 I 08/89 - 12/96
Cylinder Bore [mm] (Ø) 86.0 mm
Length [mm] (L) 55.4 mm
Compression height (KH) 30.4 mm
Pin O.D. (BoØ) 21.0 mm
Pin Length (BoL) 61.5 mm

The only difference is on the piston Pin O.D. (BoØ).
Is it OK to put a brass sleeve (0.5mm thickness) on the smaller diameter of 1300 SOHC connecting rod having BoØ 22.0 mm in order to accommodate the 21.0 mm piston pin of Mahle 0117500?

Cheers

it would be ok to replace the bush in the conrod with one of the correct size to accomodate a smaller pin if needed, but certainly not ok to put in a thin sleeve on top of whats already there...

The piston is far from suitable.... and a long way from "The only difference is on the piston Pin O.D. "

what about the big 5mm deep 57mm diameter recess in the crown?... unless you are planning on 7:1 static compression

SteveC
50.jpg

Last edited:
Anybody know where I can get a NOS 4331512 cam from that won't cost me a limb or two? Failing that a 1500 4333059 cam? My 1300 has the later euro cam and I'd like it to give a bit more over 6K rpm....it starts to run out of breath ~5.5K rpm

Anybody know where I can get a NOS 4331512 cam from that won't cost me a limb or two? Failing that a 1500 4333059 cam? My 1300 has the later euro cam and I'd like it to give a bit more over 6K rpm....it starts to run out of breath ~5.5K rpm
Perhaps I'm recalling it wrong, but isn't the 4331512 cam (Euro 1300) milder than the later 1500 Euro cam (4333059)? And a 433059 1500 cam is even mildier than either of those? Sounds like you might be going backward? Or did I misread your comment?

I have a later euro 1300 73hp car so was going by Steve’s post here:

I have a later euro 1300 73hp car so was going by Steve’s post here:

Honestly I'm not certain about which cam numbers are what. The info I said above was also from Steve (in his "book"). However I've found errors here and there in his info and sometimes I have difficulty following what he is saying (maybe a language barrier?). So it is possible either or both of us might be wrong about the part numbers. I know there is a chart for head part numbers that someone assembled. And I think(?) they may have also made one for cams? Considering Fiat has never identified any of their cams, it is very difficult to know what one is unless you have the needed equipment and skills to actually measure it.

But regardless of the part numbers, my understanding is the late Euro 1500 cam is the highest performing SOHC factory cam available. And you CERTAINLY do NOT want any US spec cam. Now more to your question about availability; a few years ago new Euro 1500 cams were bouncing around for sale o the internet for very reasonable prices. Then it appeared the supply of new ones ran out and prices shot up. Now it seems you may be hard pressed to find a new one at any price. Furthermore the prices of used ones has also risen considerably. Frankly I would not feel 100% confident buying a used cam anyway. Especially when there is no easy way to verify what you are getting. So the best option that I know of is not a Fiat part, and technically not a "new" cam, but a reground one with "similar" specs as the Euro 1500 cam - as sold by MWB:

NEG,

You're in the UK, why are you asking guys in the USA?

all you need is a cam from any UK supplied carbed 1500 X19, that will be a 4333059, surely finding one of those used will be easy enough for you.

Jeff, you have it all wrong and you're just confusing everyone... Neg had it correct the first time.

SteveC

NEG,

You're in the UK, why are you asking guys in the USA?

all you need is a cam from any UK supplied carbed 1500 X19, that will be a 4333059, surely finding one of those used will be easy enough for you.

Jeff, you have it all wrong and you're just confusing everyone... Neg had it correct the first time.

SteveC

Thanks Steve, I've located a 512, you'll be surprised that NOS cams are pretty rare! Henk has the 059 but thats more expensive than the NOS 512 I've located.

Many thanks for your help and clarification.

NOS Cam shaft has arrived, the quick n dirty measurement seems to confirm it’s a genuine 4331512. Now just need to build,up the confidence to swap it out!

Back