Pic Request: Stock Battery Cable

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
Hi Guys!

I'm having a custom battery cable made up by a local auto electrical shop. The problem is that my battery has been out of my car for so long that I have simply forgotten :confuse2: how it goes back in, and there's no real guarantee that how it was in there was the way it is supposed to be, or even if it's the right group/size.

What I mean is, does the battery install with the posts toward the rear of the car or toward the front of the car? And, which side is supposed to be pos and which neg?

What would be great is to find the pix that I've seen "SOMEWHERE" of a stock installation. I can see it in my mind's eye, its a B&W pic, most likely from an official FIAT publication, of a Gould battery (which IIRC was OEM) installed in the car. Jeez, I have seen that pix 20 times in the last year but now that I need it I can't find it! :lol:

Or, if you KNOW your battery and cable installation is OEM, that would work, too! :)

BTW, the custom cable assy is going to beef up the brown wire by a couple of wire sizes, beef up the starter cable by a size, FI power cable to stay the same, and add one more wire to power Bob Brown's headlight relay mod.

I cannot guarantee that this is stock, but it makes sense. You´d have to cross the cables to mount it the other way. And the retention bracket would sit awfully close to the battery poles.
batt.jpg

That looks like my stock one. It routes...

thru the tunnel on the passenger side then out the back. Looks like a straight run...Sorry the pics are out of focus..the cam did not like the low light....

Dan, the battery posts should be

located toward the front of the car. Everything I've seen shows the + battery terminal crossing over the battery with the post at the front passenger's side of the car. The Neg. post toward the front driver's side.

I have red top Optima Battery....

with top and side posts. I chose to use the top terminal posts, so that the black battery cover would fit. The side terminals are facing the rear, the positive terminal is on the driver side, negative on the passenger side. You can make your our cables. I made a negative cable with 2 gauge wire from Advanced Auto parts, crimped on the brass connector(works better if you use a vise) which attachs to the front trunk wall. You can also buy gold plated marine terminal connectors as low as $8 each. I wrote an earlier post about this. There is also a terminal connector with a digital read-out. Only seen this on evil-bay.

Lou
74 x1/9
87 x1/9

Back