Picked up another 124

autox19

True Classic
Long story, but I find most people here like stories.
If you recall, a few years ago I got a "free" spider from a friend of mine whos dad passed away. it was his and he was working on it when he passed. not literally at the moment, but you get the idea. I told her I would do my best to get it back on the road. She said her mom and her didnt want it back, they just wanted someone who would enjoy it have it. the past few years I have been doing a little, very little here and there. the main reason for the stall was about a year and half ago we converted my garage to an inlaw suite so we can care for our uncle who is mentally disabled and cant really live by himself anymore. (I get to "replace" my garage with the proceeds from his house sale)
Onward. I was getting to the point of changing the timing belt and for a longer story reasons, it was not at TDC when I took the belt off. I was frustrated at my stupidity of not double checking and went on to just checking other things out. I was under the car and realized the drivers frame rail is pretty much shot. UGH. ok at this point I set the project on pause.
Skip to 2 weeks ago. I was talking to my friend about wanting to get the spider running. we put aside a sunday and monday to put the belt back on as is, hoping it was close then carefully turn it by hand to get it lined up to TDC and validate the timing marks. I have always had searches for spiders just in case I could find a good parts car. last week, one popped up near me. $1650 1978. pics look decent so I contacted the owner within 5 min of the posting. My biggest question was when was the engine swapped because it was a FI engine in there. He replied with oops, it isnt a 78, it is a 81. then he told me the brief history about it being his dads. has been garaged since he bought it 20 some years ago. Ran a few weeks ago when they pulled it out of the garage to take pics.......... WAIT... RAN? ohh boy.... Told him as long as there isnt any crital rust, I can see it start up and move, I want it.
Went down yesterday and everything checked out. because I dont want to drive it in the snow, I am picking it up with a trailer monday,
Issues I see so far.
passenger side has some body rust.
dent on front drivers
a spark near the starter when he started the car. loose wire probably.
New tires.
New top was put on but looks loose. might need to refit/tighten.
Major Clean up
Needs stereo, wife isnt like me who just enjoys engine noise.
All the standard belts/hoses one should replace if age of them is unknown. My thoughts are: Timing (this time I will double check TDC) all the fuel hoses, plugs/wires, brake hoses, Brakes, (possibly booster, he said the brakes push hard but works) vacuum lines. am I missing anything?

21610.jpeg
21605.jpeg
21606.jpeg
21607.jpeg
21608.jpeg

Last thing. we are still going to try to get the first spider up and running. now we can take our time more because my wife will have her "summer car" with this one.

Odie
79 B16 X19
81 Spider (will be wifes car)
78 Spider major project

The rear hoop of the roof structure is improperly placed or not glued in place and not holding the rear of the roof up and taut.

The rust shown isn’t terminal, looks like a good deal. Congrats

The rear hoop of the roof structure is improperly placed or not glued in place and not holding the rear of the roof up and taut.

The rust shown isn’t terminal, looks like a good deal. Congrats
When i get it on monday i can take pics and maybe you can let me know how it is supposed to be. Hoping this year i can get up to GR possibly with both cars :)

Odie

That would be great. There is always the Metro Cruise where we sit and watch people in traffic from the comfort and shade alongside 28th St. We like to watch... (bastardized Being There quote)

I was also wondering, the only good write up i could find on replacing the top doesnt have pictures. Wondering if you, or someone you know, might be interested in coming down this spring (this 2 degrees isnt car working weather) and we could make a new write up as well as possibly a video on how to do it. remember I have a new top for the other spider that needs one put on.

Odie

We can definitely make a morning of it. It doesn’t look too bad aside from the rear bow. I can also look at Brad Artique’s book to see if it has a write up.

We installed Mike Bouse’ top last year, he took care of the gluing up of the top to the center and rear bows after we had the top in place on a different day.

Yours may not take much to get it right. Hopefully :)

Rear bumper is pushed in on the passenger side but that should be no big deal to fix.
I would plan on replacing EVERY rubber hose, including the brake lines. Pull up the carpets to determine the rust condition of the floors.

Back