Pile of Fiat Questions...kinda long

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Pile of Fiat Questions...kinda long<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 11 1999 at 11:58 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "8";n54_em = n54_em + "7";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "u"; document.write("Deven Morgan"); // --> </SCRIPT>Deven Morgan <NOSCRIPT> Deven Morgan </NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Well, here it is. I've now had my X for about 3 months, and in that time surprisingly nothing has broke. HOWEVER, it wouldn't really be a Fiat if it didn't have the occasional abnormality, so let the real fun begin. The disturbing uncertainty as to whether the car will come to life or not as i command it has finally sunk in. That being the case, I have some questions.
First, the doorlocks on my car have turned into a mere formality for anyone seeking access to my X. Not only are the actual locks difficult to penetrate via key, the whole operation seems pointless as most of the time I can simply push in the square area on the lock that holds the actual key hole and the locks pop up (to anyone that lives near my apartment:this part is all a joke. The car is as inpenetrable as a sober nun. Remember the alarm system from Robocop, and take heed). <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "8";n54_em = n54_em + "7";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "u"; document.write("Deven Morgan"); // --> </SCRIPT>Deven Morgan <NOSCRIPT> Deven Morgan </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I am a Tool - the second part of my post...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 12 1999, 12:13 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Sorry, muscle spasm/brain aneurysm results in rookie error. So basically, the locks dont work right. I'm going to pull apart the doors and see if i can adjust the lock to get them to work again, but if anyone has any advice, please let me know. I have seen in the service history of my X a note on lubing the locks, but have no idea how to or what to lube.

The next item of note is suspension issues. After christmas i am hoping that Santa will look upon me with good favor and grant me a budget to upgrade the X. The first thing that i would like to accomplish is changing the struts, as they are in prime condition to be thrown in the gutter. Springs and anti-roll bars are also on my wish list. What I am looking for is some kind of performance struts for the X, perhaps Konis or equivilant stuff. I was thinking springs and bars out of the IAP catalog, but didnt know where to turn for struts. Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

The last thing (for now) is an interesting picture I saw on the euro X enthusiast web page. In the gallery of featured cars if shows a picture of a X with bodykit, that, for lack of less trailer park verbage, is bad-ass. The link is
http://www.x1-9ownersclub.org.uk/monthly/1997/02.html. Any ideas about history/availablilty are again appreciated. Anyway, thanks for reading all this. Have a good one...

Deven <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "j";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "0";n54_em = n54_em + "0";n54_em = n54_em + "0";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "k"; document.write("Julian"); // --> </SCRIPT>Julian <NOSCRIPT> Julian </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Assorted advice<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 12 1999, 3:14 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->First of all on the subject of the locks. The lubing is important and for the locks is dead easy. You get a some WD40 and squirt it into the lock aperture (the bit you put the key in!) Dead simple and pretty painless. You can grease the mechanism in the door as well, but this is not often needed. I suspect that the reason your locks don't work is simply because the doors are not closing correctly. Fiat tried to make the car foolproof by making it "impossible" to lock your keys in the car, so you cannot lock the doors unless the doors are shut. Unfortunately it is possible for the door to shut firmly without fully tripping the catch will allows the lock to work. Sadly the doors on my car are slightly twisted - when the door appears to be shut it cannot be locked. Only when the door appears to have been closed by an overzealous gorilla on steroids can the lock be used. Sure the mechanism appears to work, the peg goes down, but you don't need a key to release it (sound familiar?)

Second, I suggest you get onto the Fiat Racer forum on the www.mirafiori.com site for advice on tune-ups. I can't say much as I'm in the UK and I simply do not know what the US market is like. I do know that finding some Koni's is going to be like finding rocking horse ****!

Finally the bodykit you saw is a "Faran" kit, these too are near impossible to find. The only similar kit I can suggest is the one from Eurosport (in the UK). It costs roughly £800 plus shipping and is a complete replacement for the wings. The guy who sells them (Gerry) normally does the fitting (it used to be about £1000 all in), but with a bit of care anyone could do it! <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Ulix[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Some more answers<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 12 1999, 11:20 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Deven,

I agree with Julian, that you should lube the locks with WD40. I did not know about the bit of not being able to lock the dorr when it is not completely closed, but I have had the problem that an unlubed lock was so hard to turn that the peg went down, just not far enough.

There aren't very many struts available for the X1/9 anymore. The best one availble is probably the KYB gas strut. They cost between $60 and $80 and are plenty stiff to keep IAP (or Vicks, etc) springs under control.

I personally think an X1/9 can handle exceptionally well without swaybars and would recommend you change the springs and struts first and see how you like it.

Ulix <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mac[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I agree...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 12 1999, 4:17 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hi Deven!

Good to hear your words in the forum! I like your wit - please do stick around, it is always a pleasure to read entertaining posts in here.

I agree with Julian & Ulix on the lock issue. I don't often lock my car because I would rather let a thief in the easy way than to have a broken window on top of stolen items!

Besides, there is no stereo in my X and I never leave valuables in the car. If a bad guy wants in, the locks aren't gonna stop them. I just leave the car open and anyone can see there's really nothing worth stealing in there... but if I lived in a different area then perhaps the locks would be a bigger issue for me.

As for the suspension questions, Ulix is right. Konis are the most preferable but have been out of production for the X for a long time, thus are very difficult to locate. If you can find some they will be very expensive (relatively speaking).

I use the silver KYB struts on my '80 X and they are great for the price. Debatably they are the best street strut left for the X1/9. I keep hearing a rumor that even the KYB is no longer being produced, but I still see them for sale so I am not certain. I had no trouble locating them for sale recently in the Seattle area.

Ulix is also correct about the sway bars. Most folks who have tried them end up taking them back off again, or at the least will admit they didn't make a big difference. This might not be true if you are developing an X for specific racing applications, but for street use I would definitely not bother with them until after you upgrade the struts/springs etc. -Mac.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Julian[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->A small note on swaybars<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 12 1999, 11:28 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I run my X on stock (yes you heard right) dampers with Jamex progressive springs. The performance is absolutely spot on. It rolls a tiny bit too much for the track, but on the road it is superb.

On the subject of sway bars though, think VERY carefully first. Fitting a sway bar to the front is quite likely to lift a front wheel in a tight corner - especially if you have uprated springs and dampers. This is bad news.

Fitting a sway bar to the rear could lift a rear wheel, the X doesn't have a LSD as standard and only having one rear wheel on the road means just one thing - no power! This is seriously bad news!!!

To prevent either of the above happening you would need such light weight sway bars that they wouldn't do much anyhow!

Koni could potentially be persuaded to fabricate a new run of adjustable shocks, but due to a long series of failed attempts (ie people backing down at the last minute) they would need paying up front. Not for one pair (front or rear) but for a complete run at the factory - that amounts to probably 20 or 30 pairs, at nearly £100 each ($150-ish) thats £200 a pair, or £4000 to £6000 for the complete run, and that is just one end of the car, it would take another complete run to do the other end so you would need £8000 to £12000 ($16000-ish) sat around, burning a hole in your pocket. If anyone is volunteering, then I'd but some off them, but I don't know anyone with that sort of spare cash to hand! <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mac[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Maybe we could do a fundraiser & get some Konis made?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 13 1999, 1:39 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->

Harhar! `;)

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "j";n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "4";n54_em = n54_em + "5";n54_em = n54_em + "7";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("John"); // --> </SCRIPT>John <NOSCRIPT> John </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->question<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 14 1999, 11:23 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Julian,

I'm looking for springs too, and have seen references to Jamex progressive springs before but know nothing about them. Would you have any info on them regarding availability, price and how they compare to some of the other springs on the market?

Thanks,

John<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Julian[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Jamex springs & friends<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 15 1999, 4:12 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Sadly in the UK, the Jamex springs are pretty much the ONLY off-the-shelf solution available. They're even easier to obtain the stock Fiat springs. Availability is pretty good, I think all of the UK X specialists will supply them at a reasonable price.

The springs themselves are roughly an inch shorter than the stock springs once settled and loaded. They come powder coated for longevity, in a wonderful bright red.

The first three/four windings are pretty much standard with the rest becoming progressively tighter.

In terms of performance the car still rolls noticibly, but not as much as is normal. In real terms the weight of the car is not shifted anything like as much without making the car prone to sudden, unpredictable and unstoppable spins. You can still get the rear to step out, but you have to work at it a little. Even with standard dampers (fine for this application) the cornering is greatly improved. For road use they are quite impecable, allowing the car to soak up the worst of the irregularaties in the road surface but still manage to give the car a sharper edge! On the circuit they are just too soft so I really wouldn't recommend them for that, get some real springs if you want to race!

As for price - I really can't remember how much I paid for them as I purchased a full set of Sport Japan discs and pads at the same time (and a couple of other odds and ends) - all for about £250 I think...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]scot[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->KYBs<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 12 1999, 8:33 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Ive had KYBs on a couple of my Xs,they came that way, so I'm not sure of the cost, but less than konis atleast in the short term. They work ok. <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Last time I checked they were about $60 each <nt><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 13 1999, 1:40 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->

nt = no text :) <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "v"; document.write("Steve Marschman"); // --> </SCRIPT>Steve Marschman <NOSCRIPT> Steve Marschman </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Oh go ahead and do struts, springs and anti-roll bars!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 13 1999, 3:54 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Heck, I'll give you a different reply. I installed KYB stuts, IAP springs, and Bayless anti-roll bars front and rear. I also went back and cut one additional coil out of the fronts to get the front end low enough (yeah, you read that correct, low enough). I run 5.5"X13" Fondemetal alloys with Yokohamah AVS Intermediates with too much camber (-3 degrees). The only problem I have is I need an oil pan baffle to keep the pressure up on hard right handers. I have never had a need for a limited slip diff on any surface; the car stays flat and sticks pretty well. If the inside rear starts to spin, the outside is always quick to follow! The transition from under-to-oversteer is QUICK with this combo, so always corner with two hands and pay attention. I am in the process of adding Lancia Beta 10" cross-drilled front brakes and new Fiat 9.25" cross-drilled rear brakes to my '86 to haul it in, as I do believe the car (mine anyway) is lacking in brakes... but then, I drive like a maniac.
Cheers-
Steve <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "8";n54_em = n54_em + "7";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "u"; document.write("Deven Morgan"); // --> </SCRIPT>Deven Morgan <NOSCRIPT> Deven Morgan </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Suspension Stuff - Long as usual<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 13 1999, 8:30 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Well, first of all, thanks to all for the responses to my post. Seems that everyone understands my need to want to make the X handle like a full size shifter kart. If I can't put the fear of god into the kerbs and squirrels of my neighborhood, then there's more work to do and more money to be spent son.

On the Faran bodykit, are we talking hard to come by as a result of cost or as a result of supply? And if it was possible to get the dimension specs, couldnt you get it custom done?

So KYB's huh? Are the silver's a variant that can be purchased at Vicks/IAP? I was hoping to get my X "low" enough with the springs that I'm going to purchase, and avoiding any coil cutting. However, if no one offers a coil over kit for my glorious chariot, then so be it. Sometimes I think I'd be better off if i was hopping up a Honda. But then, i enjoy not feeling like an jackass every time I step in my car...

Deven
P.S. Ulix - what kind of rims are on rocking on your X? Did you have them powdercoated black or did they come that way? They look very angry and mean.

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Faran stuff<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 13 1999, 11:12 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->The Faran kit was pretty expensive when it was made, but I haven't heard of it being produced a long time!

I suspect that the best place to look would be at one of the German clubs as they are pretty much the centre of X1/9 bodywork mods. It is just possible that someone there may know where to grab one! <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "e"; document.write("Matthias Stiller"); // --> </SCRIPT>Matthias Stiller <NOSCRIPT> Matthias Stiller </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->German Club member speaking<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 14 1999, 1:31 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hi,

being one of the members of a german club I can tell you I haven't seen any offer for the Faran kit since I am member of that club (soon to be 10 years). Also I haven't seen the conversion itself. Most kits you see here in Germany are plain ugly (this is of course my personal taste) and don't enhance the looks of an X. Flare your fenders, there's enough place for a nice tire combo (For example in Europe some people are putting 195/45/14 front and 225/40/14 back on 8x14" alloys with only flared fenders). This is more rubber than your engine can handle and you will need more than 120 bhp to get them slipping.

Matthias <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 90px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Sunk!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 14 1999, 2:06 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 90px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Well that sunk that idea without a trace, to be quite honest if you can't get a kit in the UK or Germany I would be inclined to say that you would need a miracle to find one!

As a point of interest Matthias, which of the German clubs are you a member of?

Julian <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "e"; document.write("Matthias Stiller"); // --> </SCRIPT>Matthias Stiller <NOSCRIPT> Matthias Stiller </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 105px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Member of ....<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 14 1999, 2:19 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 105px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->the Bertone Club of Germany (the one who organizes the Nuerburgring meetings as well as the club displays at the Techno Classica oldtimer exhibition in Essen).

Matthias <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Ulix[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 120px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Me too!! :)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 14 1999, 10:54 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 120px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->But only since last summer.

And I do live in Seattle... :)

Ulix <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->My wheels<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]December 14 1999, 10:59 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Deven,

you must be talking about my first X.
My current car is here:
http://students.washington.edu/~ulix/X19_74/X19_74.html

The wheels are steel rims, Keystone 5.5x13 with a nice small offset so they stick out pretty far. At the time they were available with gold, black, or chrome centers. I used 195/60 tires on them.
I don't think they are available anymore.

Since I was 18 at the time, I drove the car just as angry and mean as it looked :)

Ulix
Yellow '74 with wimpy CD91s. <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back