Plastic wheel arch liners

dcioccarelli

Dominic Cioccarelli
Hi all,

I'm currently restoring my '78 special series X and noticed that it isn't fitted with the plastic wheel arch liners which are fitted to my '87.

Does anybody know:

• From which year did these plastic liners begin to be fitted?
  • Can they be fitted to earlier models?
  • Where can I get a set?
They seem to be a very good idea as without any liner mud can accumulate inside the wheel arch.

Cheers,
Dom.

It started in.

1979 in an effort to better protect the car from rust through. The plastic liners are made in two sections and once mounted the 2 sections were pop rivited to make a one peice assembly. I am sure Matt at Mid West would have a set or two to sell. They will fit all model years of the X.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Dom...

What Tony said but finding "good" used set could be tricky with cracking etc..

I picked up a NOS set from Henk might be yur best bet for that perfect resto & should be closer :)

Mounting

From memory they just screw into the metalwork with 3 self tapping screws. I've got a photo that shows the location(s) if you need it.

Dom... they are also very good at...

... trapping mud and moisture BETWEEN the liner and inner well... causing it to rust and rot much faster!

Hi all,

I'm currently restoring my '78 special series X and noticed that it isn't fitted with the plastic wheel arch liners which are fitted to my '87.

Does anybody know:

• From which year did these plastic liners begin to be fitted?
  • Can they be fitted to earlier models?
  • Where can I get a set?
They seem to be a very good idea as without any liner mud can accumulate inside the wheel arch.

Cheers,
Dom.

I think my 80 has the arches which I'd be happy to part with for a modest price, pm me if interested.

I have wanted a new set myself.

True, that in wet places the moisture-trapping could be important. But in places where they use pea-sized gravel to re-surface roads, the "bullet effect" of small pea-sized gravel sticking to the tire and exiting vertically and hitting the inside of things, including your freshly-painted sheet metal, could be worst.
I didn't know Henk had these. Time to spend some money. Mine have a few cracks, too.

Back