Pondering the idea of Eternity...

yeah but your trying to talk all logical

about fear of the unknown. I totally get where your coming from, I just have had a fairly major jolt that's causing me to rethink things I thought I had resolved. My wife(ish) has all kinds of Christian themed items around the house, and I see the word "eternal" everyday. The literal meaning of the word is easy enough to know but impossible for me to comprehend...

If it is impossible ...

for you to comprehend then you know everything there is to know about it. Anyone says different, they are not being truthful or at least not accurate.

Sorry about whatever blow you have been dealt:sigh:

I think

Since all any of us can do is give our 'I think' on this one, here's mine.
I think that purpose is an essential part of most of us. I've met some that didn't have, or need, any sort of purpose to be happy. Most I've talked to (usually around a campfire) have a desire to do something that matters, to know that they have a purpose here in the limited life that we all are given. Limited only in the scope of eternity of course.
I had a teacher give me a sense of perspective on the length of time we are here, and our ability to matter in that time. I was struggling with people being taken in/before the 'prime' of their lives; children, young parents, etc.. I asked how can we possibly do anything that will make a difference, if we aren't given the time to do it? His response was how can we possibly make a difference, if we don't use the time we are given to do it? I stopped looking for more time, and being angry at the early deaths I saw as a young man. I started looking at each day as a way to matter. If eternity is possible for our conscious selves, this just might be pretty good training for what's to come. If not, then what a great way to make this a better place anyway. I'll continue to enjoy raising my girls, growing with my wife, meeting new friends like you in new phases of my life, and helping those I find in need.

Back