Possible Alternator issues? (long)

Sport

Rolf Grumme
Hi all-
I know that the alternator can be a persistent pain for some X owner's and in my case my current X1/9 (1987 with the Bosch alternator). I had my alternator rebuilt about 12,000 miles and a little over a year ago by a local shop that we use quite frequently. It performed flawlessly until last june when it failed again:cry:. I had the same shop do it over and had the highest voltage ever (75% to 80% on the car's gauge and 13.8V-14.3V measured with my Fluke meter:)) This was so great that I was even driving during heavy rains with headlights,fans,wipers,radio,etc with zero problems until the car's voltmeter started getting lower, confirmed by dimly glowing alt light,dimmer lights and slower fans. Using our shop's Snap On Micro Vat tester on the car gave me the following display during a charging test ("IS THE ENGINE RUNNING?" and obviously the alternator test failed)

Being that I needed to get home, I charged the battery and drove home using as little battery consumers as possible . Upon getting home tried to restart the car in my driveway with a resulting CLICK,CLICK:mad3: I parked the car for the remainder of winter to deal with the alternator in spring. This morning I started the car and it fires right up, voltmeter reads normal (again 75%-80%) and all is fine???:huh2:

When I bought the car back in 2001, I eliminated the plastic power block at the fuse board (which was discolored from heat), changed the ignition switch, also had discolored plug, and added a relay for the low beams in similar fashion to the factory high beam relay. I originally did the BWM but have since undid that and eliminated the Terminal 15 ignition circuit from the ignition switch by adding a large 50 amp relay (pic below). This way the ignition switch only triggers the relay and powers the Terminal 15 circuit on the fuse board directly from the battery. I have a good battery,oversize battery ground cable and the trans ground strap appears to be good(resistance not checked though). I have the alternator belt tight, the cooling hose and all the splash shields in place, yet I seem to need an alternator about every 15,000 miles.
Is there something that I'm overlooking:help:
Rolf.

The ignition switch bypass relay is to the left off the white (interior light delay relay, and the "53" relay is the low beam relay. Since I don't have A/C I just used the spare socket. Also above the fuses are the wires that used to be in the plastic block, now soldered and covered with heat shrink tubing.
P1010001-2.jpg

re Possible Alternator issues

more than once I thought my alternator was toast .if i let my car site for a couple of days it seems to drain down the battery I must have a short somewhere so i put a master battery cut off switch on the battery and turn it off every night but after recharging the battery with a battery charger over night it's fine.one thing I did is get an Adjustable Voltage Regulator from IAP
http://www.international-auto.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=2543&posid=907587&noapp=1

but even after that when I first start my car the voltage can be as high as 14.8 but after the car warms up it goes down the hotter it gets the lower the voltage it still over 14v but still how strange is that.
I think allot of the problems with x1/9's is they are old which means the wires are old and old wires create resistance.

Battery Drain-

Thanks Racerx

I checked the battery drain and have 20 milliamps, so no issue there.

The car also starts sitting months at a time, Yes I know an X sitting around is a terrible thing, but my Toyota 4x4 does better with our winters. (43 inches of rain since Oct 1)
Thanks again.
Rolf.

volt reg question

Although the later models were termed internally regulated, isn't the voltage regulator just mounted to the back of the alternator and have a wire connection?

Maybe that has failed vs. the alternator itself.... mine was on the firewall, so I dunno.. just a thought and maybe replaceable without pulling the alt off.. :drink:

Thought about that.

Tony-

I've thought about that conversion and am getting more inclined to do it as the GM alternators are so common.:thumbsup: Seems like a no brainer. I guess I'm just trying to win this battle with my current alternator though:guns:. I might be losing the fight though.
Thanks.
Rolf.

Voltage reg

The internal voltage reg is on the back of the alt and it incorporates the brushes. This is was happened with the first alt. The brushes were toast.
Rolf.

Rolf... I can only say this...

... after screwing with these panty-waisted Marelli's and Bosch alternators for over 25 years I am DONE WITH THEM!

Seems everytime I ever tried to jump another car or get jumped I'd loose the alternator soon thereafter. The diodes and/or rectifiers just can't seem to handle any sort of surge.

I never felt the GM's were that great either... but they do prove to be more ROBUST, readily available, and much less expensive.

Bottom line, as you said... a no brainer!

Back