Preferred way to convert to quad headlights

dherr

True Classic
I really like the look of the quad headlights on a Scorpion and may have found a Beta headlight setup (grill, headlight housings, trim). I know that this requires the removal of the scorpion headlights, motor, linkage and a new nose band. Is using the Beta setup the preferred swap parts? Can this be done without major cutting of the front end sheetmetal and is it reversible?

grill and headlights.jpg

light housings.jpg

Pete W. did an excellent write up on the X1/20 section. Do a search and it should come up.

Thanks Ralph. But that was not with Beta stuff, it was with 1958 Ford parts, of all things. But the headlight sizes and spacings are the same, and there is probably other useful stuff in there, like how I mounted the noseband and such.

But it is definitely not a no-cut, reversible proposition. A whole lot of sheet metal had to come out of the front end in order to get dual headlights in there.

Here's the carnage: https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/scorpion-headlight-customization.17596/

When i get back to school (currently out with covid) I will try and take some pictures of my conversion. I used lancia only parts. Did not have to cut anything. I am planning on making my own headlight surrounds though to properly fill the gap. The lancia ones will fir but leave a little to be desired

@BEEK that would be great. I have a line on some Beta Zagato lights, grill and surrounds, so would like to see how you did it. I have seen several others, but would like to see what you did to not have to cut out any sheetmetal.

Most of the conversions I've seen use the BMW E30 headlight assemblies. The later ones give the much improved ellipsoid lights. They're expensive, but give a modern amount of light without being blinding.

BEEK:

First off, best wishes with the Covid. I work in Secure inpatient psychiatry at a hospital, and I'm amazed I haven't gotten it yet... Also, could you provide some understanding of the wiring for the headlight operation? Electricity is my weak spot...

I've started out playing with some quad BMW 7 series headlights that I pulled from the auto yard. The frame construction is plastic and quite light weight, I've cut and separated the high and low beams from each other as I am planning to stagger them for better fitment. As per Pete's thread I will be having to cut and remove some metal that was supporting the central noseband. I have another lighting setup that has caught my imagination, however, and am pondering pros and cons...

Back