problem with gaskets sealing

countryguy53

Daily Driver
I recently rebuilt my FI1500 and now i have noticed the gasket on the cam tower top cover leaking some oil, it was the gasket i had just put on, i used permatex ultra gasket (grey) sealer. the pan gasket is doing the same thing it seems to have broken and squeezed out. i must have tightened then both too tight i guess. i used some K&W copper head cement to fix the cam tower gasket and plan on ordering new gaskets for both tomorrow. they were both the black rubber gaskets, i was looking for input on which type of sealer you people use and if anyone else has ran into this problem also? i have never had a problem like this before and have done a few engines in my time but this is new problem to me. is it a problem with the black gaskets or just me i did clean the surfaces well before reassembly. Any input will be appreciated Thanks Gene

go to

a toyota parts department and ask what they use it may not be cheep but it work the best.

I was always told you dont need sealer on rubber gaskets as they will compress to make liquid-tight seal. You do use sealant on thinner paper or head-type gaskets. Sounds like you overtightened anyways if you can see the runner gaskets being "squeezed" out.

I just did my oil pan gasket

with the thicker rubber (re-usable?) gasket...
It's hard to know what "tight enough" really is, so I use my (somewhat delusional) common-sense approach and tighten it so that the rubber shows some compression, but not 'squeezed out' so-to speak. I've not used any sealer on this gasket. I'll know if it's right in about 10 days, when I fire up the engine. (my re-build is almost complete.)

BTW, I use the reddish-colored sealer on the paper gaskets. (high temp)
I've had really good luck with that.

I agree...

and think the sealant actually helps the rubber gasket move out of place when you tighten it down... I screwed up a small-block Chevy intake that way and had to tear it back down.

I like the high heat copper sealant for the "paper" gasket areas, if needed.

Back