Problem with my daily driver

DanielForest

True Classic
Ok, to make a long story short, my 2012 Audi A4 quattro had a bad timing chain tensioner. So I changed the tensionner, the chain and most usual stuff (guides, etc). Then after I was sure the timing chain was correctly installed, I discovered that I couldn't turn over the engine. So I assumed I had some valves hitting the pistons while the engine was still running. I removed the head to discover the valves are perfect. So, still puzzled I started cleaning everything before reassembly. Cleaned pistons top #1 and #4, then I tried to turn the engine to raise pistons #2 and 3 and when the pistons reached the top, if I let got the crank nut, they are returning to the bottom of the block. I didn't tried to make a complete 180 degrees because I was afraid to break somehing.

Thats confirms that I removed the head for nothing, but why the engine won't turn over? I have no ideas? There are no head on it, no chain, ...

Next step, I will remove all chains and guides, but if that is not working, then I'm completely lost. Maybe I'm just too stupid about mechanic, but I don't understand.Any reason why a bottom end without a head wouldn't turn over? Any suggestions will be considered!

Is it possibly something external? A dropped nut jammed in somewhere, wedging a belt, or the chain catching on something?

Rebuild didn't goes far. I cleaned the head, then I tried to remove the broken stud for the manifold. I applied PL10. I applied heat. I drilled the center of the broken stud in a deep recess and I used a small bolt extractor. I couldn't turn it at all. I drilled a larger hole to use a middle size bolt extractor. Then it wasn't turning either and I broke it in the hole. I tried to drill it with no success. So my choices are:
1) I live with a missing manifold stud. After all, there are 4 more. And it's only exhaust. I could be a little more noisy than it used to be, but I don't believe it will affect sensors or computer(s). Am I wrong?
2) As long as the head is out of the car. I could go to a garage or a machine shop to have the stud done professionnaly. It would be the expensive solution and I will have to wait after the construction vacation, most garages are closed at the time around me.
3) I could get stubborn. Drill a larger hole and insert an helicoil. I'm just afraid I won't get the right angle. I will take a pic later today

What would you do?

I would love to ask my best friend who's a professionnal mechanics, but I couldn't get in touch with him for the last 6 weeks (calling at least once everyday). He doesn't have a cell, neither a computer, neither an aswering machine. And he's 1 1/2 hour from my place. I'm thinking of going visit him anyway and leaving a note on his door. I could survive without his help, but I'm afraid he could have some health problems. He's 70. I even looked into the memorial section to see if it's name is appearing...

Rebuild didn't goes far. I cleaned the head, then I tried to remove the broken stud for the manifold. I applied PL10. I applied heat. I drilled the center of the broken stud in a deep recess and I used a small bolt extractor. I couldn't turn it at all. I drilled a larger hole to use a middle size bolt extractor. Then it wasn't turning either and I broke it in the hole. I tried to drill it with no success. So my choices are:
1) I live with a missing manifold stud. After all, there are 4 more. And it's only exhaust. I could be a little more noisy than it used to be, but I don't believe it will affect sensors or computer(s). Am I wrong?
2) As long as the head is out of the car. I could go to a garage or a machine shop to have the stud done professionnaly. It would be the expensive solution and I will have to wait after the construction vacation, most garages are closed at the time around me.
3) I could get stubborn. Drill a larger hole and insert an helicoil. I'm just afraid I won't get the right angle. I will take a pic later today

What would you do?

I would love to ask my best friend who's a professionnal mechanics, but I couldn't get in touch with him for the last 6 weeks (calling at least once everyday). He doesn't have a cell, neither a computer, neither an aswering machine. And he's 1 1/2 hour from my place. I'm thinking of going visit him anyway and leaving a note on his door. I could survive without his help, but I'm afraid he could have some health problems. He's 70. I even looked into the memorial section to see if it's name is appearing...
There is the weld a new bolt/nut to the old body of the stud approach to get it out.

What a mess. Sorry to hear of the troubles.

You need all 5 manifold studs or it will leak. Manifold leaks will affect emissions, and if bad enough, burn the valves. Take it to a machine shop.

Just to give you a little follow-up. I found a machine shop willing to do the job. Its not easy these days. Some shops didn't even returned my phone calls. Cost me 286$ canadian to remove the remaining of the stud and put a sert. So I can work on fitting back the injectors.

It wasn't a good day. After I bolted the manifold, I discovered the plugs wiring for the injectors aren't long enoug to plug. I did put the injectors 180 degrees out of position. So I had to removed the manifold and the injectors to turn them to the right angle. This time I broke a stud for the fuel rail. But I could removed it and use a bolt instead. Then everything was fine until I figured there were some "flaps" to put in the intake runners before the manifold is fitted. Everything was boltd, torqued, plugged, etc. Ok, so I had to removed the manifold and injectors again. This time, I think I'm ready to put the head on the block!

Back