Project X 1/9

FIgnasiak

Low Mileage
Does anyone have a PDF or something of that nature of the "Project X1/9" booklet? I am trying to get a dual master cylinder set-up for my car similar to the one in that book. However, I am unable to find my copy. I think I have found all my other Fiat literature. Specifically I am looking for the diagrams in the back and the text portion concerning the brakes. Has anyone done a similar set-up recently since there likely is some new technology out there since the book was created? Is there any difficulties that I might not be aware of with making this modification? Any advice would be appreciated. I plan on racing someday when I have time, but mostly right now I just want to get is running again. I figure why not upgrade rather than spend a few hours under the dash replacing OEM.

Thanks, Frank

Thanks, I was hoping to avoid having to buy another copy. Or has anyone done a dual master cylinder set-up and care to share how it is done?

That would be very appreciated. Could you scan the "blue print" for the break system too in the back?

Thanks, Frank

PS- if you don't want to post here you can send to my e-mail: shs_990258*yahoo.com

Here ya go

cci1028201000000.jpg

cci1028201000001.jpg

Just an FYI, Summit Racing has Wilwood M/C's at $50. They should work just as well as the Girling units.

Tiltion, Brembo, AP racing and others have similar cylinders. This style of master is popular.

Brake bias bars appear on ebay often, about $30.00. make sure the cylinder spacing and adjuster screw diameter is proper for the X before purchase.

Tiltion also has brake/clutch pedal units that can be fitted to the X. one of the exxe folks from Down Under did this, worked out well.

As with a lot of things in the PBS book, it's 30 odd years old, race bits and understanding of the X chassis has moved on from since then.

Bernice

Just an FYI, Summit Racing has Wilwood M/C's at $50. They should work just as well as the Girling units.

Thanks for the scans they will be very helpful.

Do you care to elaborate on some of the changes in the X chassis since the PBS book was published? I haven't had much trouble with the clutch master so I am looking just to change the brakes. I think it would be fun to be able to adjust bias front to rear, I feel often that I could use less in the front. I am not too knowledgeable on bias bars, I know generally how they work, but do not understand what is meant with: "cylinder spacing and adjuster screw diameter is proper".

Thanks again,
Frank

PS- I was not planning on Girling cylinders as I hear they are rather expensive and I am a budget.

The PBS chassis mods were centered around the belief that every last bit of suspension travel must be preserved and lowering the CG is a top priority. This is why PBS moved the chassis suspension pick-up points, used spring rates in the 200lb/in range, moved the steering rack and etc.

Since that time, the track racer world has moved to wider much STICKER tires, aerodynamically loaded chassis and etc. This means seriously restricting the suspension travel and high spring rates with dampers to properly control these high spring rates. All done to keep the suspension geometry in check for what the tires expect for best grip.

This suspension set up work well on the exxe and other similar chassis too.

The other problem with the PBS mods, the accuracy required to re-locate the suspension pick-up points is in the order of less than 1mm. Or, anything less than a serious chassis table and careful set-up and re-weld, fab of new parts will result in in correct suspension geometry. Basically, there are better ways to set up a exxe chassis for race duty.

Here is a link to Tilton Engineering's bias bar guide, read it. It not that complex or difficult to understand. DO NOT cut corners on the brake system or take any chances with any parts. Any failure in the brake system could be deadly.
http://www.tiltonracing.com/content.php?page=list2&id=299&m=b

Bernice

Thanks for the scans they will be very helpful.

Do you care to elaborate on some of the changes in the X chassis since the PBS book was published? I haven't had much trouble with the clutch master so I am looking just to change the brakes. I think it would be fun to be able to adjust bias front to rear, I feel often that I could use less in the front. I am not too knowledgeable on bias bars, I know generally how they work, but do not understand what is meant with: "cylinder spacing and adjuster screw diameter is proper".

Thanks again,
Frank

PS- I was not planning on Girling cylinders as I hear they are rather expensive and I am a budget.

Back