Pumping fuel issue

AngleT

Always more tuning to do
Is this a common issue with the X1/9? When I'm filling the car up with fuel and allow the auto stop to indicate that the tank is full, it sprays fuel all over the engine cover.

When filling up I find the auto stop does not work very well. I always fill up myself . If you turn the filler nozzle so the back of the handle is pointing toward the opposite side of the car then it works better. I also leave my ignition on and watch the gas gauge.

Depends.

This type of activity usually means your fuel vents are not working as designed. A lot of times this happens because people plug the fuel vents on the tank, then the only place the air has to escape from the tank when filling is out the nozzle hole, resulting in a spray.

Check your vent canisters and hoses.

Eric

Flapper

Tom did you remove the flapper for the unleaded gas only nozzle?

I removed it along with all that other emissions stuff plus when filling the tank I face the nozzle toward the passanger compartment and don't have problems with my 79 at all. Now my stock 87, well that is another story. The flapper prevents the nozzle from going all the way in the tank which prevents splash back.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Well, all my evap lines are in order

And it still does the gasoline spray on auto shut-off, too. In fact I am shocked that someone is actually insinuating that this does not happen. Yes, the handle should point forward or to the other side. Then the problem is not as noticeable.

I have found...

...that the Bertone cannot be filled with the handle set to even the slowest auto-stop notch, the fuel flow is too eager. I have to hold mine barely open and wait... it's a long 12 gals.

It does help to hold it "upside down" with the handle toward the front of the car.

I think it's just that new nozzles are designed to capture the vapors coming out and so the fit is very tight.

That's the only way, Gregory.....!!

..It does help to hold it "upside down" with the handle toward the front of the car.

If you 'twist' the filler pump handle around, and hold it in exactly the way that Gregory has described above, you can almost fill the tank at full speed!

If you have ever had to replace the short hose (the piece that splits) that connects the filler neck to the fuel tank inlet pipe, you will have clearly seen the 'angle of the dangle' that makes Exxey fuel-filling a form of art!!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Thinking hard about it...

Mine USE TO do that... but no longer!

The crappy pumps and lousy fuel we have in my area pumps so slow (and charges so much...) that is just clicks off with no commotion at all anymore.

It useta splash all over the place and took about 1/3 the time it now takes to fill it up.

Hadn't thought about that in a long time... just dying of boredom watching the gallonage SLOOOOOWY turn as the DOLLARS spin at a frantic pace!

Back