Question about high-power 1500 X-engines

BrianM

'74 - Blue Bomber
So not to hijack the engine swap thread I'd like opinions on the best way to get max HP and or Torque out of a 1500 w/carburetor(s)?

I'm just getting used to my '74 with a 1500, single carb, "free flow" exhaust, 17-57 57-17 cam and complete seal pistons.

I'm coming off of a Lotus Europa 1600 twin carb. and the X just does not have the same umpf.

How do I get 125HP to the wheels of the X?

Sorry if this ground has been covered before,
BrianM

What's your budget?

Hi Brian,

for the numbers you state (about 2,5x stock hp), you need to attck the engine as a whole, bolting on parts will not do it. Rebuild the bottom end to at least stock spec, then continueing with a well prepared head (most important). Then pick a cam to match and chose your preferred induction system, be it dual webers or Megasquirt. Buy a header and build an exhaust (or buy Mark's).

As you can imagine, you probably will need a couple $1000 for this.
If you are prepared to spend this kind of cash, we can talk details. :)
There also are lots of threads that have discussed this topic in the past, sind pretty much every X-owner wants more power. :)

Hey Brian, The thread that JJ posted up is my race engine thread. So far, I have about $2500 just in parts alone and I'll be lucky if I'll get 125whp on 110 race gas. My suggestion is to go turbo. It's quick, it's relatively cheap and you'll get the torque you want. Most importantly, it's a streetable solution.

BTW - if your looking for something to compare with a Lotus 1600, it'll take a lot of massaging, but can be done. Right now, I'm battling a guy with a stripped out Europa, hence the reasoning behind the engine build.

You didn't tell us how much power you have now

I'm trying to decide beween upgrades and Swap out.

BrianM

Come on Brian... spill the beans. How close are you to 125hp right now? Did the PO provide you with any dyno sheets or even some knowledgeable speculation? If he put that kind of effort into the mill, you would think he had some idea where he ended up HP wise.

I am currently trying to get over 150 hp with my 1500, though I am falling short with just about 90hp at the moment. I have a turbo waiting to be installed just need to gather more of the bits and pieces to build that system.

If i was to go back and start over I think I would do a swap. It would be more power at an equal/less overall cost. What powerplants are you considering?

I'm trying to decide beween upgrades and Swap out.

BrianM

Other than the 1500...

I'm looking at the Toyota 4AGE Black top and the Honda K20.

If you're gonna swap go for the max I guess.

I am currently trying to get over 150 hp with my 1500, though I am falling short with just about 90hp at the moment. I have a turbo waiting to be installed just need to gather more of the bits and pieces to build that system.

If i was to go back and start over I think I would do a swap. It would be more power at an equal/less overall cost. What powerplants are you considering?

BIG HP? Go for a swap

Very streetable, lots of HP, lots of upgrades available for more HP, and regular old pump gas!! I kinda wish that's the way I went, but after dumping thounds of $$$ in the original 1500... you just stick with it. The next X I build will have a transplant!

Scott Biswanger's B16 (which he later upgraded to a ??? [200hp])
http://autox19.com/b16/

Nick's Alfa Romeo 200BHP, 3.0 V6
http://www.p1x-2000.co.uk/

Matt Brannon's Honda K20Z1 with N4 6 speed trans (Midwest-Bayless)
http://www.midwest-x19.com/FiatX19Acura_files/frame.htm

I know there are others, but these are just a few.

Never Dyno's

At least that's what he told me. In fact this is the first time it's run under 5K feet. It's from Colorado.

I guess step one is to find a dyno shop and see what I have already.

Anybody know a Fiat tunner in So Cal???

BrianM

Not a specific fiat tuner, but try Church Automotive testing http://home.earthlink.net/~spchurch/

I plan on taking my car there to be tuned when I get around to it. They come highly recommended by many people I have talked to about getting my car tuned.

At least that's what he told me. In fact this is the first time it's run under 5K feet. It's from Colorado.

I guess step one is to find a dyno shop and see what I have already.

Anybody know a Fiat tunner in So Cal???

BrianM

125 RWHP from a 1500cc carbed SOHC will be a tall order for a "streetable" motor. Not impossible, but certainly at the upper limit of what availiable pump gas will support. Research all you can find on head work first, this is where the power is, and spare no quarter in this area, then select the apropriate cam for your expected range of RPM. Steve C. in Austailia has alot of great up to date info on what it takes to make a SOHC head flow. Run the piston to head clearance down tight (.035"-.040"), and the most compression you feel you can get away with on pump gas. With the proper length extractor tubes and intake runners, all tuned for the cam and RPM range, AND...all the other usual tricks (lightened flywheel, adj. camwheel, balanced, ect.) it can be done. But......it'll most likley cost as much as a budget swap at the very least.
Now.....if your Idea of a "steetable" motor is a little more liberal than most, like mine, and your not afraid to run a little 110 octane race gas now and then......you can run the compression up to 12:1 or more. This will REALLY wake the SOHC up and, with a little more cam......look out. The real advantage of a motor like this is throttle response, which will be instant.
Personally, if you decide to stick with the 1500, I'd suggest a modest turbo motor with programmable FI and ingnition. You can get the same, or more HP and torque as a well prepped hi-compression carbed motor, may cost a little more, but, you can tune it to run on pump gas. And with proper turbo selection and attention to pipe sizes and routing....turbo-lag should be a non factor.

In fact....I've just talked my self into building a turbo motor for my '74........well........I've started collecting parts anyway.

???

Wonder why my sig. and pic didn't show up on that previous post ?

Hey....that beer dosen't know what time it is !!!

:D

I agree with the turbo option.

I run the Uno Turbo in my car with a slightly larger turbo. It has all the mannerisms of driving a honda around town. However, the farther you push your foot to the floor, the closer to god you get :eek:mg: With no tuning on the car, I am running very low 15's on the quarter with horrid reaction times! But that is the problem with the driver, not the car. I am sure it could drop even more if someone who knew how to drag race actually drove it.

Eric.

Back