Questions On Using a BT 5.0 MP3 Player w/"D" Class Amp For Hands-Free Phone Use And Occasional Car Audio

lookforjoe

True Classic
Trying to figure a good way to add a compact radio/music-player. I do like to listen to a couple of NY radio stations to & from work. Also want to be able to answer the phone. I had put a compact head unit in the X1/9, which works just fine for radio & phone use, however in the Z I want something smaller.

I found listings for a range of very compact units, and bought one of the below to try. Smaller than the palm of my hand so I could install it discreetly.

No instructions, so I do need advice on wiring this if I use an amp:

Output R & L are preamp outputs?
Antenna is just a single wire, like remote alarm controllers? I don't see how one could connect to a regular car antenna cable (mine has the radio end torn off)
Also I realize I don't see any way to connect a microphone, unless that's what I'd use the Aux port for? :(

Anyone played with these?

Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 3.11.24 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 2.57.06 PM.png

YT videos typically show using a separate amp, so I looked for D class amps on Amazon
Something like this

Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 2.38.28 PM.png

Was also thinking of little speakers such as these 2" jobs
Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 3.47.29 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 86X
Trying to figure a good way to add a compact radio/music-player. I do like to listen to a couple of NY radio stations to & from work. Also want to be able to answer the phone. I had put a compact head unit in the X1/9, which works just fine for radio & phone use, however in the Z I want something smaller.

I found listings for a range of very compact units, and bought one of the below to try. Smaller than the palm of my hand so I could install it discreetly.

No instructions, so I do need advice on wiring this if I use an amp:

Output R & L are preamp outputs?
Antenna is just a single wire, like remote alarm controllers? I don't see how one could connect to a regular car antenna cable (mine has the radio end torn off)
Also I realize I don't see any way to connect a microphone :(

Anyone played with these?

View attachment 78443

YT videos typically show using a separate amp, so I looked for D class amps on Amazon
Something like this

I think that the outputs on the left are low level ground referenced outputs so that would be the way to drive an external amp. The ones on the right appear to be for driving speakers. From the terminal labels, I would guess that the amplifier output is differential and not ground referenced so make sure the speaker connections are floating w.r.t. ground.

I am assuming that the output power spec is not defined as RMS since the components look a bit tiny for that power level.

I've played with similar units and they are extremely basic. So you likely won't find everything you might expect. For example no radio channel presets. And no "shuffle" function for music files in the onboard connections (USB, card, aux, etc.). And no "memory" feature. Therefore every time you start the car it will default to no radio station, no song on a music list, no previous volume level, etc. I found them very inconvenient to live with.

I agree, preamp on the left and amplified on the right.

Aren't antennas only one wire, plus a basic ground (I think for shielding)? If so then the single antenna terminal would be the center wire on a typical car antenna, then ground the shielding. Although it might not offer much reception.

It doesn't appear to have a "mic" input, and I'm not sure if the USB connection would work for one.

If a pair of 2" speakers is all you will be driving then the onboard amp should be enough without adding a external amp. Maybe try that first....you can always add the amp later if needed.

Back