Quick ??? Charcoal Canister

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
How do you go about evaluating whether or not the evaporative emission control :fart: charcoal canister is still doing what it's supposed to be doing?

And if it's bad, where do you get a new one? I don't recall ever seeing new ones offered by our stable of vendors....:confuse2:

The efficiency dwindles with use like any porous media.

But the good news is that they are renewable. I once spoke with the old guy who was involved in the design of the original charcoal concept. He said that all you have to do is bake the can for a couple of hours at 350F or more and they are as good as new.
This works great on the older metal ones. Not so good on the newer plastic housing ones....

i actually saw a brand new one for a spider on the shelf at a san berdo import auto patrs store a couple years ago. iu bought it but never used it.were all the x canisters metal? the ones i have aquired are metal.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for posting the eBay link to the canister. As it turns out I bought one of the plastic ones a while back. Now that I am looking closely at the OEM unit on my car, I see the mounting bracket is spot welded to the canister body. Some drilling of the spot welds would free the bracket to be used on the new canister, since the new one has no bracket.

The hose nipples are a little bit different too.

Back