Rain tray

Rather than hijack the thread about the carb heat shield, I thought I'd start this one --

Tony, you said you removed the rain tray and have had no problems. The rain tray was removed on mine, and when I pulled the engine I found the pressure plate rusted. The carb is a vertical DAT, and although it has an air filter, I wonder about water getting into it.

I still have the rain tray, and had thought about modifying it. Just wonder what others do. This poor fellow will be outdoors most of the time, perhaps with a cover, but I'm planning on building an all-weather night fighter here.

Thanks for your thoughts.

-- MIke

Tony may be of no help...

...as it doesn't rain in Southern California.
I have run 3 X's year round with no rain trays in Ohio, where it has been exposed to every type of moisture out there. I never had any instance of problem or rust. I DID have a throw out bearing completely seize (I mean Bob Brown did) with my BB 4RE. Unless that may have been caused by the moisture ensuing, I am uncertain. I was running a single DCNF with an aftermarket air cleaner. Never had any issues any time of the year.

WOW... so that's why they call it a RAIN-tray...

... for RAIN.

Tom's right... I've never seen any rain so what would I know... HA!

If its as cold and rainy and left outside as much as you say... then maybe tossing the tray is NOT for you. Some have made them easily re-installable with screws or clips and pins and others have modified them. But for as much rain as we get PLUS the lack of humidity... tossing them altogether in SoCal it pretty much the way to go.

The dizzy is tucked under and the ECM is under a pod... and its really the MOISTURE from humidity that will rust things eve if its covered! As far as the carb goes... usually the engines like a little moisture and you will not have any problems.

I have, BTW, ducted air directly from the left side vent to the carb snorkel, which I cut down so that its less restrictive and opened up to about a 2 1/2 inch diameter. Used 3 feet of 2 1/2 ducting from Pep Boys. Works GREAT for a fresh, COOL air intake with a bit of RAM effect at speed.

The problem, BTW, as I see it, especially in SoCal... is the restriction that the rain tray provides whilst sitting in traffic not allowing the heat to escape easily. Many have crushed or bent vanes on the cover also even further restricting the flow. (My wife useta place her attache' case on the cover getting in and out of the car...)

Problem no more for me!

Also... pull the side vents and cut off the grid work inside... it'll give you at least another 25% more airflow into the engine bay or into the carb if you choose to do as I did with the left one...

All these little tricks add up to improve airflow in and through the engine compartment and allow the mill to run cooler.

Here is Randy Robinson's modification... says it was easy bending a piece of sheet aluminum... Nice work...

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/emrliquidlife/C230 Coupe/Fiat/IMG_1124.jpg

Jeff Johnson (JJ) just removed his tray altogether on his '74...

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/emrliquidlife/C230 Coupe/Fiat/IMG_1117.jpg

I question the necessity...

Having said that, I did convert mine to a removable system using M5 nutserts (like rivets, but threaded holes that accept a machine bolt) on the lid so that the rain try can be removed in about 10 minutes.

Consideration must be given to how you will accommodate the adjustable bumpers and rear plastic trim. For mine I fabricated simple aluminum tabs that rest against the rubber bumpers, and simply bolt the trim piece back in after the conversion.

Another concern is UV damage to the hoses and in particular the coolant expansion tank. Before I replaced my tank with the stainless version, I also fabricated a simple cover for the tank.

A lot of trouble to go through for not a heck of a whole lot of difference. It's important to remember that the engine is water-cooled, and the air flow is mostly for the intake, accessories, and general wire and hose life.

I left the rain tray in place all of last year.

Ive always removed my rain tray's w/o and problems. If your running a stock air cleaner, your in even better shape for ditching the tray. and as Tony mentioned, you can hook up a ducting hose to the driver side intake vent and attach it to the "snorkel" on the stock air cleaner and have a Ram air induction.

Me too... I question the necessity of having it!

HA!

I think if I lived in the Great PNW I wouldn't take it out either!

Back