Re: Unfamiliar user names

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
(This is a followup to a tangent on another thread, I did want to address some user comments on this issue, but split it off here, thanks for the tip JJ :))

...as usual I am late to the thread/party... and just in time to not even know what the topic was about... ? :hmm:

Not to belabor the whole user names issue but I do wish to say it would be beneficial to all if users in general at least include their first name or first name and last initial, or just some recognizable nick (eg: "Mac"), somewhere in their posts (username or in custom title line as Albert/Karfrik suggested in the 'all in one user help sticky')

[Note: if you want to change your username to something more recognizable than what you signed up with, the admins can do that for you and apply it retroactively to all your existing posts as well, just "Contact Us" if you'd like to do this, or to add a name in your custom title line, go to UserCP then EditYourDetails>CustomUserTitle then click save]

As for me though, it's all good either way. I've been on Xweb ten years and even on the old forum half the time I had no idea who was who :rolleyes: maybe just a benefit/curse of being an absentminded user myself, I just treat everyone as if I know them, and then if I didn't, I will eventually figure that out ;) but by then, I know them :D so its all good to me either way...

You know, we've barely had this system alive for a year now, and for about 2/3rds of that, we were still using the old forum as primary anyway, so as long as it already feels like we've been here, for most of us, it's really only been but a few short months. People will catch on, users will adjust, folks will sort out whos who, make new friends and recognize old ones, it will all work out, just takes time guys :)

Last edited:
also, fwiw...

...the old system had its equally messy/confusing drawbacks as well, lest we so quickly forget :) You may find it a bother over here to see everyone running around with new user ids (it wasnt possible for us to transfer n54 accounts here, sorry) but on the old forum where no login was even required in order to post, we had to deal with "our friend Anonymous" popping up constantly (good luck ever sorting out who that was, each time), or multiple folks with similar real names not logged in "bob" "ed" "john" "steve", there has even been occurrences of other people posting as "mac" etc etc, quite literally anyone on earth could post as anyone else...

Over here, minus FSW, (which is still open posting for guests for ease of info being brought by folks who may only be hitting the site one time to offer an item for sale etc), at least we do require a verified login in order to post on the new forums, so you might not recognize someones id here, "yet" ;), but each id is and will remain in the future consistently linked to that user's profile and post history...

Just my opinion, I think it's just a matter of time and a little head scratching for the old school users -myself included- to re-associate old friends to new ids, and in the long run, I think, the new setup will prove to be better than the old one, in terms of being able to "recognize" a given user over time. It again just takes time... we'll get there :)

Back