Reality Check: Exhaust hangers

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
Need a reality check for an '86 FI car....are these exhaust hangers installed correctly?

Not sure about the one on the right because one of the hanger springs just does not want to hook up to the hanger without fouling on the bracket on the muffler itself:hmm::hmm::hmm:

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

Not 100% sure...

I can check mine tomorrow...

The one one the right looks upside-down though. I think you want 2 springs holding each end up, 1 spring holding each end down.

My recollection is also 2-up 1-down on both sides. I don't have stock exhaust to go check anymore.

Just checked in the workshop manual - pg 10-114 - it's definitely upside down in your install.

Ya know, I think I might have them on the wrong side of the car. :tomato: The mounting holes and captive nuts are staggered, probably in an attempt to keep people like me from putting them on wrong. But nothing can ever be made fool-proof because we fools are so damned clever:king::laugh:

Will remove and see how it goes flip-side.

Thanx guys!!!!!:woot:

Last edited:
I think it's on the correct side - check the service manual pic (online if you don't have the hard copy) - you can see the longer ears on the right side of the exhaust.

I think you are just showing off!

And I like it. Everything looks pretty tidy in there.
Oh, yes right side is wrong, two clips on the top.
Bob

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

Not right now, but maybe when these mounts are just about to give out. You can see them wearing in the form of missing metal in the "crooks" of the mount hooks.

Back