Rear Brake Hoses

lanciahf

True Classic
Big Shout out to Midwest Bayless for having the correct length rear brake hoses.

Currently I am replacing my coil overs with new shocks and monte springs, During the swap I noticed my brake hoses seemed stressed, ie. too short. Sometime last week I received a Midwest Bayless "Specials" email and I saw the rear brakes hoses were on sale.

I ordered an set and installed them today. They are a perfect length.

Old hose on the right.
S5Q20a--fDTtwKX6JrjKbNyaPp00Y-ejen-bvskpjuCTzN3c4zR5NnGHWuQIDkDoc319gp52cWrVlY6sgK0oZbaSVyteAiRJF5aQvh23Z6pNgq3zs_S0j2Q40ZoTZULAoyRBEWhwCDjVMW1vzN70vfkI3jkEFBmxJEPeUNCcPTMIx6mTiHHy6XcblUktFL8QNjzBrSU6k4KDp9x0RP4J9zvBg8Qs65wZSswMAGSdBpZa5Qs7W6U85SBwy2GPEMtRBqY6jdzlVBjyHCPH79ilpVPuZkYAY4BWyE-TbjQSTEcMPhymacIbBe1TEMRZ0tsIzdfYxNPm-7G48Wxu5dZl0IPJq-V2Hni2nrl2PUFPOttPOmD8dyAAQPFnZpKuKQCI3BNXBAFjyJmt8zdMsBdxQW_d-BMlYTUlfoEU1vL2cA84nYGt8Jj1sXiRMMCp0OkYYjDhdtdUPN3Cka_0Vp0DVyL6amD_SD9hAPUr-u34vcEnPlul4QaJR0tB6bMBKi2XmWFyyyzMNN_T-JhrCOqFCRTKOYwy2jwYpa6DMM391KSOvBGkq5KmjCJ9n0R40ViqBT57fsyXYXZzDyq30gJ9MpvBMU9GgkdK1rJ0RwXfReFxiiU7h8QfYJRRc9i7dnRrzD-OQJHsnvjkV7-_UsO6_OmvPpjn7kKLofnpu4KS0_f4HOR6tL-W_ASM6PY5wVxsiLDP0OQbVKyDSNhC-1aBDRcEapAlrUr4mJ2DyQeEJ018mKsDZkEUJngIpePSulnmA9_XI4MMSXr8c5SkZF15ZIyR0pxYDkz5wR6a5qpAL65RrOSv7jB3SGbtJxEayAyFWK58VARqoav0FtseUSghFpHhMe9NAkwmLFasSjIBFDWugPAnldG8yjiJmprqPici1dI03yiC6OPBHlnLaJsp8oXdsWC386PA8LyP3IYm2u8QeYAKT2JEDITpRaBWl2JAIMad4AU3y16xQNzgjZIHluooxtR8H_i17QrNj_SOuTlUtAldBmRo2o8=w703-h937-s-no

I've found an interesting thing with "stock" style rubber replacement hoses for the X (and other old cars). If you compare the products offered by numerous manufacturers, the actual lengths vary considerably from brand to brand. Despite all being listed for the same year/make/model. In some cases the length difference was significant and caused issues similar to what you had. One person suggested it might in part be the result of them selling a "128" hose as a "X" hose, etc. But I'm also sure there are simply differences in manufacturing specifications. Especially with vintage vehicles where things have changed many times over the years.

Hi Jeff,
I read a while back that X1/9 hoses are too short for Scorpions. Who knows anymore.
They probibly are. I was just noting an observation I've found with some car applications. It seems different manufacturers make things differently. However you make a good point; if a vendor sold X hoses for a Scorpion then the same problem. So it can happen either way. :)

In some cases the length difference was significant
Years back at an X meet-up, another car was having brake issues - turned out they'd fitted some "bargain" stainless hoses and the rears were too long from stock and one was rubbing through against the wheel rim whenever the suspension compressed :eek: Fortunately it was caught in time, but did curtail their day somewhat.
my brake hoses seemed stressed
Oddly the MWB rear scorpion hose listing has it at the same length (10.5") as the X1/9 hose which they say is 1" too long for a Scorpion and needs checking so it doesn't foul :confused: - maybe your original hose was the Lancia spec'ed length?

Years back at an X meet-up, another car was having brake issues - turned out they'd fitted some "bargain" stainless hoses and the rears were too long from stock and one was rubbing through against the wheel rim whenever the suspension compressed :eek: Fortunately it was caught in time, but did curtail their day somewhat.

Oddly the MWB rear scorpion hose listing has it at the same length (10.5") as the X1/9 hose which they say is 1" too long for a Scorpion and needs checking so it doesn't foul :confused: - maybe your original hose was the Lancia spec'ed length?
You were right, the hoses are too long and foul the back of the tire. I should have read the description fully. I put the old hoses back on, Eurosport has the correct length hoses. I'll order a set from them in the future.

About 15 years ago I had a brake failure from too-long rear brake lines rubbing on the wheel.
hose.jpg
DSCF4619.jpg

You ought clean up that Godawful RUSTY mess, everywhere in the vicinity
before you worry about brake hoses. Try THE MONTE HOSPITAL for hoses
for proper hoses. After you rid yourself of all that rust. Yikes . . .

Indeed … find you all I did. Having owned 6 Betas over the last 45 years . . .
still wrenching on them . . . 2.9K posts on LANCISTI . . . I try to help.
Assist people. FWIW: ICR, Evapo-Rust is an excellent product.

Where did you get the wheel stands?
I'm happy with them. They don't come with bolts, but I got the bolts from McMaster Carr.

Back