rear c-arm bushings

fiatmonkey

Tim Hoover
Hi,

Does anyone know the following:
  1. Are the two bushings on each arm the same size?
  2. What are the dimensions?
  3. Has anyone found a hi-performance replacement?
These are for a late model FI X.
Thanks,
Tim

*1. Yes, both bushings are the same. All four are the same.

*2. I can measure one and post later.

*3. Other than Eurosport, Monte Hospital has urethane bushings. The X1/9 and Scorpiacarlo use the same lower rear A-arm.
http://montehospital.net/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27_24&products_id=681

Do you need the bushing removal tool? The loaner bushing press tool is here if needed, just send me a note.

There are shim/washers between the A-arm bushings and the body mounted suspension bracket. These shims prevent excessive compression of the bracket which can cause excessive loads on the brackets by compressing the two ends of the lug. The precise location of the shims does not matter, what does matter is using the shims to reduce the space between the bushing and bracket end lugs enough that they do not compress much once that M14 bolt is torqued to spec. Make sure the thick washer on the nut side if the M14 bolt is in place under the nut. This acts as a space to keep the threads out of the bracket holes and allow proper clamp forces on the entire assembly.

Hi,

Does anyone know the following:
  1. Are the two bushings on each arm the same size?
  2. What are the dimensions?
  3. Has anyone found a hi-performance replacement?
These are for a late model FI X.
Thanks,
Tim

urethane bushing's impact on performance?

Bernice:

I have read that different bushing materials can be used as a part of the suspension tuning process. What is the impact of using urethane bushings? This is for a street car with occasional track days. (Bilstein sport shocks and PBS lowered front struts which you talked about last week -- sigh! Perhaps OK for a mostly street car.)

Does your bushing removal tool make a significant difference from using my press? I suspect that pulling them out might work better than pressing them out.

Paul Davock

Thanks Bernice - I suspected they are the same but wasn't sure. I appreciate the offer to measure too :)

When I have some time this weekend I will do a more thurough inspection on both sides and determine when I will do the swap.

I know that Obert has or can get factory spec ones. I will check out the other optionals ones as well.

We ran urethane bushings in one of the Miata racers - last year for a couple of races from a sponsor however my brother didn't like them at all. Could be a MFG issue. I would like to hear your thoughts on them as well for the X (Performance mod??)

Thanks,
Tim

*1. Yes, both bushings are the same. All four are the same.

*2. I can measure one and post later.

*3. Other than Eurosport, Monte Hospital has urethane bushings. The X1/9 and Scorpiacarlo use the same lower rear A-arm.
http://montehospital.net/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27_24&products_id=681

Do you need the bushing removal tool? The loaner bushing press tool is here if needed, just send me a note.

There are shim/washers between the A-arm bushings and the body mounted suspension bracket. These shims prevent excessive compression of the bracket which can cause excessive loads on the brackets by compressing the two ends of the lug. The precise location of the shims does not matter, what does matter is using the shims to reduce the space between the bushing and bracket end lugs enough that they do not compress much once that M14 bolt is torqued to spec. Make sure the thick washer on the nut side if the M14 bolt is in place under the nut. This acts as a space to keep the threads out of the bracket holes and allow proper clamp forces on the entire assembly.

I have the urethane ones (on front) rear is still in the garage. Good quality, bu getting the old one out is a PITA, especially the outer metal ring.

Wasn't there an issue with the suspension binding when using stiffer bushings on the rear control arms?

Back