Rear Suspension/Springs

Bill_Alber

Daily Driver
Help! What are the spacers in the coil of my '80 F/I rear springs? Are they stock or added by a PO? Should I remove them before compresing the spring to change struts. Spring has a yellow stripe, my Haynes manual indicates two different springs but I can't quite figure out the difference. Were these spacers to affect handling or ride height?

Thanks, Bill

Help! What are the spacers in the coil of my '80 F/I rear springs? Are they stock or added by a PO? Should I remove them before compresing the spring to change struts. Spring has a yellow stripe, my Haynes manual indicates two different springs but I can't quite figure out the difference. Were these spacers to affect handling or ride height?

Thanks, Bill
Bill,

Anyway you can take a pic and post? I recall they looked liked stoppers to stiffen the strut spring under load? But I had never seen them on an X myself.

Pictures

Tim;

I don't know how the heck to post pictures. I took one, got it to imageshack but don't know how to get it down to the BB.
I'm lame.

http://img405.imageshack.us/i/012wgz.jpg/
012wgz.jpg

012wgz.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure how to do it with image shack but a link there should work, no? I don't do it this way but I'd think you just open the picture in image shack to ook at it like normal, select the http address in the address field, copy it (ctrl/C or Edit Menu/Copy), then go to this thread (in another window). Click edit under one of your posts. Click the mountain picture button in the button bar above, paste in the address you had copied earlier (ctrl/V or Edit Menu/Paste) Save.

Can't help with that, I do it by uploading the picture to a web server (that I pay for) then link to it, it embeds the picture, how you do it without some server space somewhere, I have no idea.
BTW looks like a generic coil spring block to stiffen up sagging springs.

Bill... yep... those don't belong there...

... and the simply twist to get them out.

I added a similar set to my car made out of rubber many moons ago when I first installed some larger rear tires. The rubber ones, gave me just enough support not to rub any more over big bumps.

My struts were worn though... and once I replaced them with new KYBs, I never needed to install the "lifts" again. They are truly a bandaid... but did serve a purpose for me one time.

ever watched a nascar race?

When they talk about "spring rubbers", this is similar to what they are speaking of. They serve to make the spring "stiffer" by removing the flex of one coil.

Easy enough to install and remove. You should be able to tell the difference right away...

T

Spring Inserts

Thanks for comments. Should I assume that the coils need to be replaced or should I just take them out and let the new struts do their thing? I'm not interested in "performance" springs, just a stock ride.

Bill

Thanks for comments. Should I assume that the coils need to be replaced or should I just take them out and let the new struts do their thing? I'm not interested in "performance" springs, just a stock ride.

Bill

If it was me, I would take em out and do your strut install. If you don't like ride or feel like they need to go back in then just put em back in.

I dont think you need new springs. (IMO)

What Tim said Bill...

As it worked for me.

I dunno what your, or the PO's original problem was or why they installed them. Like I said, for me it was worn struts allowing me to bottom out over big bumps and my oversize tires rubbing.

With new KYBs, and even with a "minor" weight gain... I no longer bottom out (using the 32 year old springs) and no longer so I have the lifts installed.

(BTW... I think KYBs are still available at SummitRacing for about 60 bucks apiece.)

Replace the springs? Probably not...

Without the inserts, the ride will be softer and there will likely be a bit more pronounced body roll, but whether that's "better" or "worse" is strictly your call.

There are a few important things to consider though in making a good evaluation of how the suspension performs. Make sure that the tires are all equal in size/type/make/air pressure and that the top mounts are in good shape with equal amounts of wear as well. Then there's the steering rack mounts, ball joints, bushings. etc...

But for now, just taking out the coil inserts will give you a pretty good idea of what you have to work with.

T

Back