Rear tailight harness tether

budgetzagato

Administrator
On my Scorpion, the rear tail light harness plugs have an annoying tendency to fall off. It's a simple matter of old connectors with not quite enough friction/tightness to keep from slipping off.

I figured out a simple and effective solution. A 1/8" hole drilled in the housing and a 4" nylon zip tie fed through to secure the harness to the light housing.

You can just see it in this pic of the left side tail light:
IMG_3183.jpg

These days I buy zip ties in packages of 100 so I consider it an expendable item if I need to unplug it.

Ha! That's exactly what I did...

back when I had the stockers.

I think there is a little retention arm on the wiring end, and a corresponding hole on the circuit board. Like those late-model OEM wiring connectors where you squeeze them on the side and it levers the little hooks out of the place where they hang on.

After just a few on/off cycles the little clip gets busted and then the connectors just fall off at will, as you are experiencing.

Pete

Hey! Make me a list...

Pete do you have a list handy of such things I should consider doing? It's hard to think them up myself... :confuse2:

I don't really have a formal list...

I've just addressed things as they've come up over the years. Most of which I have probably forgotten, until a post like this reminds me of them!

One mod that comes to mind is, I changed over to the X1/9 wiper motor. It requires some cutting and welding on the bracket that holds the motor, but the Scorp motor proved impossible to find, at least, when I went looking for it.

Where are you at on the brake booster, did you bypass yours?

Pete

Currently the brake system is stock. I haven't had the time to organize how to bypass things. I think I could just disconnect the vacuum hose to the booster as a trial, but even that is too much to fuss with right now.

My wiper motor is fine except the dreaded no-park feature. I have yet to disassemble and inspect the park contacts which are probably rusty dust by now.

Too busy with the FI conversion?

Or too busy with other stuff?

My X has sat for 2 weeks waiting for a cooling system bleed. :( So I know what that's like.

Pete

Back