rear trunk rust!

could be worse..could be better, but could be worse. Any ideas on fixing it? new metal? cut the old and leave it ? etc..?

The "fix" (which is no fix I admit). Is containment. I already brushed, scraped and picked at it, hit it with a hairdryer for an hour and went over it repeatedly with rust encapsulator. Plan is to hit it with primer. Maybe a piece of foil tape to sorta seal it from water ingress. Call it good. New metal is the real fix and that means torch and weld.....way too involved for this car at this time and this guy with none of those skills.....yet. If I can slow it down until I can do it right (or the car departs this earth, whichever comes first).
I learned from my Opel GT that daily drivers can be taken at any moment so extensive down time and money is to be avoided. Save it for the show cars, minimize it for the Go cars.
opelbeforeafter.jpg

Where is the "Ghost of Christine" when ya need her!
Yeah, right. They said Christine was a horror movie, what were they think'n? A self healing kick #$% car? That's horror? Bring it on. I don't mind if the car get's a tad possessive of me.
BTW
That's what happens when a distracted driver waits to the last second to make a left turn in front of you. 50mph impact. Car crumpled like an accordion (as it was designed to) I walked away, swearing I'll admit, but walking.

Dang!

That's a real shame! Don't see too many GT's (or any other Opel's, for that matter :rolleyes:) on the road at all..

You could use a little fibreglass mat to rebuild the lip after the rust converter...

or take the angle grinder with cutting disk, cut out the rusted floor area of the trunk then sealing the now exposed metal edges and either use a sheet of thin gauge steel found at lowes and using the grinder/cutting disk make a patch panel and take it to any muffler shop and have it welded in or find an old road sign of your choice, again use the grinder with cutting wheel to cut into shape and then rivet it in place

Dang!

That's a real shame! Don't see too many GT's (or any other Opel's, for that matter :rolleyes:) on the road at all..

Yeah, I know. I loved that car BUT....it was underpowered, undervalued and under appreciated, suffered from undeserved bad rep. Sound familiar? I'd have gotten another but I wasn't prepared for a nationwide hunt for one I could afford that didn't need EVERYTHING.
Still, it was a head turner. My 15 year old son wants me to sell off the X and hunt down another.......no.

Tell the kid to get his priorities straight, or...

... trade him in!

For the next 3 - 5 years YOU won't know crap anymore and he'll just be a financial drain anyway. Maybe forge his BC and enlist him in the Air Force... then let the GI Bill pay for his college...

Have him change out yur water pump and weld up that truck floor before he goes to boot though...

I am with Tony!

And Jeff - I like your attitude on your X. These cars are made to be driven and have fun in them. What could be better than driving your fun car every day? I went the low budget route best I can with my daily driver as well. No stressing on the paint, etc.

Have fun!

-Tim

!

I've been fighting rust for years. If you're NOT going to paint it, the best thing for rust is to brush on some HYPOID OIL on both sides. Let it soak into the seams. Use whatever you put in the transmission. It will put the rust to bed much better than the rust converters. Primer isn't waterproof, so don't waste the effort.

Pour it into seams that are prone to rust to prevent rust too!

Covering the rust with tape will just make it worse. The water needs to evaporate. Keep the air circulating. I leave that trunk panel out to keep the air moving around on my car.

Back