Rear X struts on front of 128

carl

True Classic
Running into problems with this job. The reduced diameter end of the shock rod is much shorter on an X strut than on a 128 strut. Therefore, I can't get the lower aluminum cone far enough down to assemble all the other parts.

Never noticed this on my previous 128 where I did this but I think I just used the X top mounting hardware without realizing you are not supposed to do this....although it drove fine.

So, what mods do I have to make to get the 128 mounts on the X shock shaft?

Are you sure you have early X struts?

I haven't had that problem on any of my swaps, using '74-78 rear X struts. If you have '79-up struts here are some comparison dimensions that may explain why you are having a problem.

Early%20vs%20Late%20X19%20Strut%20Top%20Dims.JPG

+1 Courtney

Carl, I suspect you have a set of late X19 rear struts which cannot be used on a 128. Even if you had the original X19 spring perches, which would allow everything at the top to assemble correctly, they then have no ability to rotate during steering.

You need the early style X19 struts that will enable use of the lower aluminum cone and pivot bearing.

-M

Struts

Yea, that's what I finally found out by reading an earlier post here awhile back by someone else.

For now I'll go back to the 128 struts with X rear springs. It's what I have been using since I got the car back on the road a few months ago. Not ideal but better than the sky high look from the stock 76 128 front springs.

I know where I can get a pair of used rear X Konis but at least now I'd know to ask if they are for an early X.

carl

Back