Rebuilding

glenegan

True Classic
So having moved from taking things off the car to putting things back together here are some progress pics:

I rebuilt the front suspension, but i am still thinking about what to do with the uprights:
FrontSuspension.jpg

I had the old Konis rebuilt by Performance Shock in Sonoma.

I had the radiator re-cored and cleaned up the fans:
RadiatorFans.jpg

I rebuilt the pedal box with new master cylinders, I used caliper paint on the masters, they seem to start rusting right out of the box:
PedalBox.jpg

Putting the clutch pedal spring back is gonna be a huge PITA...

I am halfway through making new Cunifer brake and clutch lines using Federal Hill's very nice flaring tool:
FedHill.jpg

FlaringTool2.jpg

BrakeLineEnds.jpg

I am just about finished moving over the wiring harness to the new car, then i can put in the brake lines, heater, pedal box and steering column.
I am still trying to get the motor back in by the end of the year - wish me luck!

Very Nice! I used that same flaring tool last year. I almost want to buy one because its such a beautiful piece of engineering! It made the job a breeze.

OMG!!! What a Craftsman you are!

Everything has been disassembled, replaced, rebuilt, repaired, replated, masked off, painted and reassembled with care!

I'm standing as I am applauding!

Excellent work!

Here's a point I MAY be able to help you with... the Clutch Spring.

1. Some had them and some didn't.
2. Some have them, and some don't.
3. AFAIK, mine never had one... and except on the rare occasions when my master or slave failed, the pedal always FELT right and RETURNED right.
4. If ya wanna install it anyway... an OLD mechanics trick was/is to use a roll of pennies, (nickels, if you can afford them...) and insert them between the coils of the spring... to expand it, and hold it expanded. Then the spring is simply inserted and when first operated, all the coins drop out.

HTH...

Many thanks!

Thanks Robert, I forgot to give you credit for the sweet FedHill connection, they are really helpful and their stuff is top-notch. I will be writing a testimonial for sure!

Great tip Tony! - many thanks, I will definitely give that a go. I feel bad about leaving things off the car, even though i am not quite sure what the spring does :confuse2:

Hoping to get the rear suspension back on today...

Very Nice!

It's always great to see this degree of detail put into an X restoration/project...

How about some more images of your X project?

Guilty...

If that flaring tool is made by FACOM, we have one in the shop. It is one of the best flaring tools for this work. The one in the shop came from USA evilbay (still not cheap)a few years ago and lots of folks bid on it including some folks from the EU!

This likely one of the most expensive SAE/ISO combo flaring tools available (near $800 USD new), but is simply works..both imperial/metric for both tubing.

The other bubble flaring tool that works well is made by Eastman Imperial, sold by MAC, Snap-On and etc...

Then there are 37 degree AN flaring tools which where a completely differnt set of manufactures are involved..

Very Nice! I used that same flaring tool last year. I almost want to buy one because its such a beautiful piece of engineering! It made the job a breeze.

Back