Recommendations for shop in Orange County

tdskip

True Classic
Hi guys - total newbie X1/9 owner here in Orange County CA. I'm OK with a wrench and have rescued a couple of Triumphs but the X1/9 is all new to me. Any recommendations to share on a good shop in the Orange County area?

The only shop I know of close to you is...

http://www.allisonsautomotive.com/

Tell Mark I get my usual 10% finder's fee...

HA!

Lots of good guys out your way... introduce yurself with a bit more of WHERE in OC ya live... and they'll come crawling out of the woodwork to lend a hand for a sip of Brew and a slice of Pepperoni...

Thanks for the referral. Looks like they have some nice bits.

I'm on the Irvine/Lake Forest boarder, and community wrenching is always welcome. Good karma, bratwurst on the grill and good beer are in abundant supply in case anyone feels the urge to help save me from me.

She's a bit of a project - 1974 1300 4 speed, very straight and very little welding required, but needs fuel/carb, header and lots of other bits. She was in the process of being turned into a race car but I'm going to keep her a light as possible but put her back on the road for vintage touring events.

IMG01259-20100719-1922.jpg

IMG01257-20100719-1811.jpg

Is this the same "tdskip" I've seen over at the British Car Forum?...

I've been quiet over there for a while (but lurking) as my TR6 project is on a back burner due to other priorities.

Welcome aboard... this is a great place with lots of helpful and knowledgeable people...

Hi Jim - thanks for the welcome. Small world - yep, same tdskip (Tom actually). I decided to take the leap into something totally different. Getting close to having the major work done on the TR4a so time to bury myself with a new project again - grin.

I've been searching the forum and archives like a mad-man here already. Great forum - I'm psyched I found you guys.

Any ETA on the TR6 or going to let her sleep for a while?

Yup... the X is definitely going to be a different experience than anything classicly British. I like both, and the contrast is fun.

No ETA on the '6. A Stag kind of fell in my lap last year and has grabbed my attention (and budget).

I'm lucky that my current X (owned two others previously) is a low mileage, late model. I just put gas in it and drive... little maintenance required.

Yep - it did/does. Please don't tell me that the last time you saw it was driving into the Pacific ocean or similar horror....

Member here (or former member) was PO I think. I recall the car was stripped down and missing the center sheet metal between the engine bay and rear boot (most of the section is open anyway he just took out the small middle piece). It looked like a clean car though.

I have a 74 stock grill for sale in case you are looking :). Decent to good shape.

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?posts/63622#post63622/

-Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
That car came from Rancho Cucamonga, for sale for a long time due to price. Nice base for a good car. I got my 74 from fontana.

Yep - that is her. LOL - you guys really watch the market.

Got her at meaningfully less than advertised previously. She needs a lot of sorting but fundamentally in good shape. Seller was a really nice guy too.

Inland SoCal cars can make good starting points.

Any local events coming up that I should be putting on my calendar?

Thanks guys.

FWIW

I bought the engine cover, console, rear brite trim and seats from this car, when it was on the way to being a race car.

In OC, I would probably recommend Snow's Foreign Car in Old Town Orange - forever they've had a bunch of X's visible in back; I believe someone here recently said the owners race 'em.

Back