Relay identification help please

X1/9Cruiser

True Classic
Can anybody tell me what the purpose of these two relays are? They are in the spare tire well next to the fuel tank and I'd like to remove them if possible. Thanks

Picture007-1.jpg

Relay answers

The small metal one on the left is the injector fan relay.

The larger one on the right is the stock Bosch L-Jet dual relay. Runs the fuel pump and injection computer. Yours is pictured with only the fuel pump side connected.

While you could probably run without the injector fan system, you may need the pump relay unless you modify the fuel supply system.

Hey Mr. Cruiser...

Don't toss those relays...

I'm sure there are folks here that could use them, especially the DUAL relay... and all the stock FI guys should be carrying one aboard as a spare.

You'll be assisting folks around you and getting yurself a tank of gas or two for your efforts...

thanks

I have a red wire running from the battery positive to the one side of the 'main' relay. Not sure what it's used for and I can't start my car at the moment as the tranny is out so I'll have to figure that out later. I did remove the other injector fan relay. Don't know for sure if it works or not but it's free for the cost of postage if anyone wants it.

According to your profile you have engine in your car that is somewhat different than the one it came with. I'm assuming that is the reason the right connector is removed from the double relay. The connector that is missing is the one that attaches to the FI harness and I imagine you removed that. The connector that is still plugged in is the body harness side. Basically the double relay powers the injectors and fuel pump but is set up so that body harness and FI harness wires don't have to both be inserted into the same connector which would be the case if they had used two relays. This simplifies the assembly line process but makes for a rather complicated relay. I would imagine that you could take it out since the FI harness is no longer being used apparently.

thanks again

It's been several years since me and a friend wired this car's honda motor and I can no longer remember why that one side of therelay is still apparently being used but it may be some for a signal from the ignition switch.

Dual Relay

Cruiser,
if you don't need the Bosch L-Jet dual relay I'm interested to buy.

Right now it looks like it's being used

I just can't remember exactly why it's wired like it is. I'll know more this spring when I fire the car up.

Back