Remember me? Starting my X19 project need some advice.

remofromcanada

Daily Driver
IMG00045-20091109-2233.jpg

IMG00046-20091109-2233.jpg

IMG00047-20091109-2233.jpg

IMG00048-20091109-2233.jpg

IMG00049-20091109-2234.jpg

IMG00052-20091109-2235.jpg

IMG00055-20091109-2248.jpg

IMG00054-20091109-2237.jpg

IMG00053-20091109-2236.jpg

It was previously registered as a 75..but it is made is 74. There is no underbody rust. I want to rebuild the 1300 motor, but I want to use motorcycle carbs. I want to know if I should use a later electronic ignition, or just go to megajolt with the coilpacks. Basically how should I hop up this motor? cams, valves, what do most people use/reccomend?
Thanks
Remo

Hey Remo, and welcome back....

You will probably get as many different answers as there are responses, but what is your final goal? What would you like to do with your car? (motorsports / tours / weekends / spirited drives)

So, my response (prior to knowing what you want) is:

Restore the body. No rust, clean, shiney, good looking.
Redo interior.
Completely redo the brakes, and depending on budget, either sport springs and KYB GR2 struts or coilovers.
then, build a solid 1300 with a mild cam (35/75) and megasquirt + OEM Electric ignition and a header.

Welcome back and let the long winter

project begin... Who could forget those grooovy '74 chromed out bumpers :cool:

Move the jack stands?

It looks a bit precarious with the jack stand where you have them. Remember the X is pretty rear heavy, I'd put them further back. Just in front of the wheel arc is a solid looking spot where I usually put them.

actually I was wondering about that myself, because it didn't seem all that stable. I will move the jackstands before I get to work.
I want this car to be fun to street drive with the most amount of pep I can put into it without spending all my money:)
I'm thinking motorcycle carburators..which ones are best to use?
peppy cam, possibly some valve work
I already have a header
weld up a new exhaust with new muffler
electronic ignition..or possibly megajolt
around how much would it cost me to get into a megajolt setup?
I found an appraisal sheet from 1990 and this car was appraised at 4500 canadian.
The car is all there and there is almost zero rust, but it needs to be gone through for sure.
Original color was metalic red.

Hello Remo....

just thought I'd mention that there are other X owners in Alberta.

First off.....you got yourself a nice project there. 74's are hard to come by in Canada. And in the condition yours is in...AWESOME.

As for myself, I have 2 78's. The first I've had for a few years, stored at home under a trap for future restoration. I was going to do a complete body job on it next summer after I return from Afghanistan, but I found my 2nd X a couple of weeks ago.........in Edmonton. I picked it up for a great price and have it stored in a friend's compound until I can move it to Cold Lake after this winter ends.

Buying this one is a MUCH cheaper option than my original plan, as there is very little work needed to make it a reliable daily driver.

I don't know what your level of expertise is with respect to your X and local sources for parts. I was involved in the automotive industry for a few years and have made very great friends in the parts supply side of the house in Edmonton.

Let me make at least one suggestion.....there is a place in the West End called I & M Imports. They've been around for 30+ years, and Shiraz is a great guy. He is most likely the best Import Parts guy in the city. His brother Zee is great too, although more on the administrative side. Don't hesitate to call them if you need parts.

I'll leave you now, but please don't hesitate to PM me with any questions you may have. Even though I'm in the "sandbox", doesn't mean I'm not connected. I can usually answer PM's and e-mail within a couple of days.

Remo, PAGE BERNICE...

She and others adapted a bike carb setup for their "Italian Stallion" racer this year and it performed very well. Might as well not haveta reinvent the wheel!

One thing I have found about restorations is that if the car LOOKS pretty damn good while yur working on it... ya keep comin back to finish it.

If it looks like a P.O.S., then there is a good possibility that it will be abandoned. Get the crap and garbage outta the way ASAP.

Then clean up or clear out the interior, pull the engine and drive train, the get the body prepped in PRIMER.

Now you have a CLEAN SLATE and it will attact you back to finish it.

As for the engine enhancements... again, ask Bernice if yur gonna mess with the bike carbs. I have NO idea what kinda cam, and headers you'll need or want with that set up.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I'm not the expert on the bike carbs, Chris, our motorcycle riding expert team captain is the bike carb expert. Chris & Pel made the intake manifold, I made a number special machined parts to connect and sync all 4 bike carbs.. This project while neat, is a whole lotta work. We did it for "LeMons" appeal of being different and to meet the budget limit. That set of four Bike carbs cost just over $100 USD..but an awful lot of hours to get it all working well.

They do work well on the X, after an awful lot of tweaking with a data logging O2 meter at various track days..

We did end up with a faster X, currently it will keep up with a stripped out BMW 325i (6 cylinder 2500cc EFI vs the X with 1500cc, 4x bike carbs engine).. Rahu, who is the team captain of "Pink Piggy" kept asking and wondering what we did to this X, as he could not believe this X was as fast as it was. He knew the X easily out cornered the BMW, but expected to fly by the X on the straights... but the X ended up pulling the BMW on the straights...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RipQFCrFgak"]YouTube- Fiat vs. BMW at 24 Hours of Lemons Buttonwillow - HD[/ame]

IMO, weber DCOE or DCNF's are much easier to get running well and far less work or EFI..

As for what cam to use... there are numerious options depending on what is needed.

Bernice

She and others adapted a bike carb setup for their "Italian Stallion" racer this year and it performed very well. Might as well not haveta reinvent the wheel!

One thing I have found about restorations is that if the car LOOKS pretty damn good while yur working on it... ya keep comin back to finish it.

If it looks like a P.O.S., then there is a good possibility that it will be abandoned. Get the crap and garbage outta the way ASAP.

Then clean up or clear out the interior, pull the engine and drive train, the get the body prepped in PRIMER.

Now you have a CLEAN SLATE and it will attact you back to finish it.

As for the engine enhancements... again, ask Bernice if yur gonna mess with the bike carbs. I have NO idea what kinda cam, and headers you'll need or want with that set up.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thank you Rapunzell for your help!

I am kind of dead set on using the motorcycle carburators. I want to do something different. I have been working on cars for about 7 years now and actually just finished a 6 year project. My 1986 300zx turbo with converted front end after mannnnyyy hours of work. I spend way too much money on this car.
zed.jpg

Right now I am leaning towards a deeper red X19 color scheme and black wheels and interior. I want to personalize the X19 while still keeping it as "classy Italian" as I can.
One of the things I am most concerned with is the ignition components.

Last edited:
Back